Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

More drop

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More drop

Hey guys, I recently picked up a 02 silverado with a 2/4 drop. The truck currently has drop springs in the front and shackles and hangers in the rear. Could I just pick up a set of drop spindles and drop leafs to drop it further? I know I may have to c notch it after this but just want to ask people that may have gone this route before.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you could If you get a good set of drop leafs...The only ones I ever liked were the McGaughys. I recomend getting stock hangers/leafs and doing a flip kit
Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, a set of dropped spindles will do it for the front.
I don't know how much lower you can go without C-notching the rear and I agree with the flip kit with stock hangers and leaves. The other thing is that, you should add a set of load bags.... trust me!

Mine has the Belltech 5/7 drop which consist of 3" drop springs and 2" drop spindles with a flip kit (6") and 1" drop shackles with Air Ride manual load bags.

Goes around corners good!

Rick
Attached Thumbnails More drop-lola-crystal-springs-front.jpg   More drop-lola-crystal-springs.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I'm with these guys. Save yourself some trouble and pick up some stock hangers for the rear and run a flip kit. Also you will def need a notch for it.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Launching!

What would be the negatives to getting the drop leafs and c notching the frame?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM
formerly 2low4nd (11-08-2011)

Originally Posted by livefast1
I wondering the same thing. Im in the same exact boat, i just realized i could save myself a huge headache and leave my 4 inch rear drop hangers and everything installed and just get belltech drop leafs to give me my rear drop im looking for which would be 6/7". Without having to go through the hassel of tearing everything out and installing stock hangers and then flipping. Im already c- notched though.

Is there something wrong with using drop leafs and hanger shackle kits at the same time?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

I've never had drop leaves and I don't know if you can go 6", in the rear, with just that modification.

I've seen lowered trucks on the road that bounce and look like they ride hard. Mine doesn't do that.

My truck has what is called a 'flip kit' which relocates the entire rear differential housing from the bottom of the springs, to having the axle on top of the springs which requires the 'C-notch' in the frame to make a slot for the axle.

The positive to a 'flip kit'/'C-Notch' is that the actual springs are in their original location(s) as designed, so the ride is good, as you are using the stock springs. The shocks will need 'shock extentions' but, if you buy a kit, you should get everything that you need.

In 1997, when my truck was lowered, 17" wheels were BIG and Belltech was one of only a few companies, that I can remember, that offered lowering kits like this but now, there are quite a few companies that provide good kits and hardware to make these modifications.

If you're going to lower your truck, it really pays off to do it right!

I'm fairly new here but, on this site, there are quite a few bitchin' lowered trucks without bags and it would be nice to hear what opinions their owner's have to offer!

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2low4nd
I wondering the same thing. Im in the same exact boat, i just realized i could save myself a huge headache and leave my 4 inch rear drop hangers and everything installed and just get belltech drop leafs to give me my rear drop im looking for which would be 6/7". Without having to go through the hassel of tearing everything out and installing stock hangers and then flipping. Im already c- notched though.

Is there something wrong with using drop leafs and hanger shackle kits at the same time?
That may work!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Ive installed flip kits before and theyre pretty simple on a stock truck, but my problem is now I would have to find stock hangers and shackles before I even order to flip kit and c notch. I've seen in another forum where a guy cut a chromoly plate and raised the front drop hanger a couple more inches. May go this route and just shim the pinion back to where it needs to be. I know if I go any lower i'll have to c notch the frame and thats not a problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 PM
formerly 2low4nd (11-08-2011)

Ive installed flip kits before and theyre pretty simple on a stock truck, but my problem is now I would have to find stock hangers and shackles before I even order to flip kit and c notch. I've seen in another forum where a guy cut a chromoly plate and raised the front drop hanger a couple more inches. May go this route and just shim the pinion back to where it needs to be. I know if I go any lower i'll have to c notch the frame and thats not a problem.

Yea, i bought my truck with a 2/4 drop too. I would never install a 2/4 on a truck if i had a choice ive done 4/6 drops on every truck ive owned. It makes it a pain in the *** when a shackle hanger kit is installed thats more work then a flip kit. Anyways. Belltech makes 3" drop leafs and McGauphys makes 2" drop leafs. Basically called a mono leaf. Pretty commen on mini trucks not so popular on fullsize trucks. But they are out there. Worth a try.

Quick Reply: More drop