Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Locker or Posi units, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truckmann
Not true. The opposite is in-fact true, unless the locker is broken, it will ALWAYS lock under power. The Detroit locker was great in my old off-road truck. I could be climbing rocks with one wheel completely off the ground and still keep going since there was equal power being sent to both wheels.

Right on!
With a locker one tire will either drag or spin in a turn with your foot on the gas, depending on how much your foot is into the go peddle. Personally I like the design of the Tru-trac the best for a limited slip with no parts to wear out. Plenty of people are happy with the Eaton unit as well.
I am just going from what i have heard, even was told to us when I purchased the rear for our pro street car, from a very very reputable place, the locker unit was more then the uint I was recomended. Not to start a pissing match. Just my OP.
John
Old 01-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean I dont do serious off roading, and I am happy with mine. Ill check the code but the dealer ran my vin and told me i have a locking differential
Old 01-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Launching!

hey what would you all recommend for a 2001 silverado ext-cab, i want the eaton but i dont know what exactlly to buy, like i dont know what rear end i have?
Old 01-27-2008, 12:28 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

any thing bad about the Auburn Limited Slip? I have been pleased with how the eaton limited slip has locked in my buddys trucks same with the detroit locker. Im stuck on the eaton but just wondering about the Auburn Limited Slip if there any good or anyone running them.... 4year warranty "The Auburn comes with a no questions asked 4 year replacement warranty through Auburn Gear."
Old 01-27-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
any thing bad about the Auburn Limited Slip? I have been pleased with how the eaton limited slip has locked in my buddys trucks same with the detroit locker. Im stuck on the eaton but just wondering about the Auburn Limited Slip if there any good or anyone running them.... 4year warranty "The Auburn comes with a no questions asked 4 year replacement warranty through Auburn Gear."
I love my Auburn Pro Series. I've had it in for 3 months or so now and I couldn't be happier. John (91_bowtie) is running one as well.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Launching!

My advice: Go with 3.73s and an Eaton posi unit.

This is coming from a guy who has had 4.10s with a Powertrax 'streetable' locker for over a year....

In fact if you were closer I'd trade you rear-ends...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having just destroyed my G-80, and grinding the teeth off the ring and pinion too...currently installing eaton LSD...was gonna opt for a TA girdle as well but won't fit without alterations to panhard bar. Since I won't be at the track all that often I'll prob not do the girdle. Now just gotta pray to the mod gods that my built 4L80 was as strong as everyone on here says they are!