PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Locker or Posi units, plz help (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/locker-posi-units-plz-help-409592/)

00Silv4.8 01-16-2008 03:10 PM

Locker or Posi units, plz help

so against my better thought process I am buying some 4.10s on friday. Now I want posi.. so need cheap but guaranteed, not my lim slip bullshit. I want to do posi but it seems like a locker would be cheaper. So any suggestions which to go with and companys plz let me know, thanks guys.

Mangled03gmc 01-16-2008 03:18 PM

Lockers are a lil cheaper, but IMO i would go with a eaton posi unit. Lockers don't always lock. I have heard bad things about lockers and nothing bad on a eaton unit.

John

nonnieselman 01-16-2008 04:32 PM

I have a Eaton LSD, i love it. no problems...

Several of the guys on here use and like the TruTrac.....

I dont think you could go wrong with either of these.. and they are a reasonable price..

sprayed8 01-16-2008 05:17 PM

eaton posi all the way, i love mine, especially in slippery conditions. make sure you get a good quality ring and pinion however. i have heard a lot of people say that the factory ones are good. the shop that installed my gears put in some cheapo gears and it only took 30 miles before the pinion ate the teeth on the ring gear and had to be replaced. Richmonds no, and i'm very pleased, no extra noise either.

trever1t 01-16-2008 05:23 PM

Locker for off-road or dedicated drag racing, Limited slip for street manners. Lockers don't tend to like to corner as well :devil:

BigD50 01-17-2008 12:49 PM

What is the difference between a eaton posi and a read locking diff? Is that just Eaton's technology that locks one axle while the other can spin or what?

_----I just called and gave them the last 8 of my vin and i was told I have a locking rear diff with a 3.73 gear ratio. The tech who looked at it said it was an eaton so I guess if eaton makes them for gm what exactly is it? An eaton posi which is eatons way of saying its a locking rear diff?

Silver-Dollar 01-17-2008 01:19 PM

BigD50, search for G80.

truckmann 01-17-2008 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc (Post 3825963)
Lockers are a lil cheaper, but IMO i would go with a eaton posi unit. Lockers don't always lock. I have heard bad things about lockers and nothing bad on a eaton unit.
John

Not true. The opposite is in-fact true, unless the locker is broken, it will ALWAYS lock under power. The Detroit locker was great in my old off-road truck. I could be climbing rocks with one wheel completely off the ground and still keep going since there was equal power being sent to both wheels.

Originally Posted by trever1t (Post 3826055)
Locker for off-road or dedicated drag racing, Limited slip for street manners. Lockers don't tend to like to corner as well :devil:

Right on!
With a locker one tire will either drag or spin in a turn with your foot on the gas, depending on how much your foot is into the go peddle. Personally I like the design of the Tru-trac the best for a limited slip with no parts to wear out. Plenty of people are happy with the Eaton unit as well.

TXsilverado 01-17-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BigD50 (Post 3826663)
What is the difference between a eaton posi and a read locking diff? Is that just Eaton's technology that locks one axle while the other can spin or what?

_----I just called and gave them the last 8 of my vin and i was told I have a locking rear diff with a 3.73 gear ratio. The tech who looked at it said it was an eaton so I guess if eaton makes them for gm what exactly is it? An eaton posi which is eatons way of saying its a locking rear diff?

the factory limited slip carrier is the G80. you can find the code in the glove box if you have it. it is a unit made by eaton but not the same one as were talking about. some think of the g80 as a ticking time bomb.

detroit tru-trac or eaton lsd is what your looking for.

Dirty 30 01-17-2008 03:45 PM

what do u recomend for a drag truck, detroit tru-trac or eaton lsd? or 12 bolt :devil: