Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ladder bar or 4-link, which is better for trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Build you some 28-32" ladder bars. I wouldn't even consider a 4 link on something you drive often because of the noise, rigidity, complex adjustments, etc... Ladders are simpler, easier to fab, articulate somewhat better and just fewe moving parts in general. There's actually a ratio that takes into consideration your wheelbase and weight bias to drletermine mount locations and bar length. I'll see if I can dig it up. I k ow I used to have it saved somewhere.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah post up the link if you have it. Ladder bars would be a ton easier and cheaper to build. Also ariculation isnt a huge concern since most coilover shocks only have like 7in of total travel sooooo 3.5in up/down. At least from the coilover shocks i have seen.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check this out if you need something budget friendly to start off with.
Buy Male Heim Kit at Bryke Racing Parts

Last edited by Vince B; 06-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 760 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Check this out if you need something budget friendly to start off with.
Buy Male Heim Kit at Bryke Racing Parts
Be Careful those low quality ones are not very strong and you would not want to get hurt. The good ones cost about $50 a piece.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ladder bar truth

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I have been doing alot of reading here lately about various suspension setups. From what i have read it seems a 4-link works best with short wheel base and a ladder bar is more suited for longer wheel base like our truck.

Anyone have some thoughts or experience?
The truth about ladder bars is they were invented first, so they were made for street and track, due the 2 links that support the rear and a single adjustable pivot point on the frame making them more streetable than 4 link which holds the rear like 2 big arms. 4 link was created for the dragstrip period. If you want somthing that is mainly show or drag racing 4 link is the most possitive non twist suspension you can get, that being said if you hit a pot hole with one wheel with 4 link the rear is gonna act like 1 unit and after enough pot holes your arm links will fail. Ladder bars have single pivot points at the frame to allow the rear to move up and down with one wheel giving you streetable flexabilty plus keeping your rear from twisting when engine torque is applied. I believe somwhere along the line sombody saw a 4 link on a drag car, thought it looked cool, put it on a street car then so on and so on. If you think about the Geometry though you will see that ladder bars are more streetable.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Ladder bar truth

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I have doing alot of reading on this a couple of notes i thought i might mention.

One chasis shop website mention a parellel ladder bar setup may not be the best for DD because the axle may not twist when one side goes lower/higher than the other. For example hitting a pothole or going over a speed bump just on one side.
The truth about ladder bars is they were invented 1st so for that reason I believe people think they are old school. The fact is they were made for street and track. 4 link was created for the drag strip period. With 4 individual contact points prevent the rear from twisting when engine torque is applied so more power goes to the tires. That being said, for something you plan to drive on the street alot this is not a good choice since there is no give or pivot points like with ladder bars. So if you hit a pot hole with one side of your vehicle, with 4 link its impossible for it allow just one side to flex. If you hit enough pot holes you link arm bushings will fail or worse welds will break. With ladder bars you have the possitive 2 point connection at the rear like a 4 link, but you have a single adjustable pivot point on the frame that allows flexabilty to drive on our rough *** streets. I believe a long time ago sombody saw a 4 link on a drag car, thought it looked cool so they put it on a street car and so on and so on. If 4 link was a good street set up you would see some similarities in factory performance vehicles, not like you do see with ladder bar, like the torque arm on a late model Camaro for example. Its basic geometry 4 link holds the **** out of rearend to get power to the wheels it was not invented for the street, as ladders are good for both.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drumjammer63
The truth about ladder bars is they were invented first, so they were made for street and track, due the 2 links that support the rear and a single adjustable pivot point on the frame making them more streetable than 4 link which holds the rear like 2 big arms. 4 link was created for the dragstrip period. If you want somthing that is mainly show or drag racing 4 link is the most possitive non twist suspension you can get, that being said if you hit a pot hole with one wheel with 4 link the rear is gonna act like 1 unit and after enough pot holes your arm links will fail. Ladder bars have single pivot points at the frame to allow the rear to move up and down with one wheel giving you streetable flexabilty plus keeping your rear from twisting when engine torque is applied. I believe somwhere along the line sombody saw a 4 link on a drag car, thought it looked cool, put it on a street car then so on and so on. If you think about the Geometry though you will see that ladder bars are more streetable.
You need to do some more research.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BlackGMC have you narrowed your kit down to certain ones yet?
Coil over choice?

I have been looking around a lot myself for my crew cab. Not much info on someone swapping a gmt900 unless it's a bag system
Old 01-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by drumjammer63
The truth about ladder bars is they were invented 1st so for that reason I believe people think they are old school. The fact is they were made for street and track. 4 link was created for the drag strip period. With 4 individual contact points prevent the rear from twisting when engine torque is applied so more power goes to the tires. That being said, for something you plan to drive on the street alot this is not a good choice since there is no give or pivot points like with ladder bars. So if you hit a pot hole with one side of your vehicle, with 4 link its impossible for it allow just one side to flex. If you hit enough pot holes you link arm bushings will fail or worse welds will break. With ladder bars you have the possitive 2 point connection at the rear like a 4 link, but you have a single adjustable pivot point on the frame that allows flexabilty to drive on our rough *** streets. I believe a long time ago sombody saw a 4 link on a drag car, thought it looked cool so they put it on a street car and so on and so on. If 4 link was a good street set up you would see some similarities in factory performance vehicles, not like you do see with ladder bar, like the torque arm on a late model Camaro for example. Its basic geometry 4 link holds the **** out of rearend to get power to the wheels it was not invented for the street, as ladders are good for both.
You woke up a 4 year old thread.

Originally Posted by Feed
I am by no means a pro in regards to suspension but Feed hit the nail on the head. Do some research before posting.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:21 PM

Default Re: reasearch

Originally Posted by Feed
Good comeback, buy what you want, Im just trying to teach some common sense!

Quick Reply: Ladder bar or 4-link, which is better for trucks?