Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ladder bar or 4-link, which is better for trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Ladder bar or 4-link, which is better for trucks?

I have been doing alot of reading here lately about various suspension setups. From what i have read it seems a 4-link works best with short wheel base and a ladder bar is more suited for longer wheel base like our truck.

Anyone have some thoughts or experience?
Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borrowing this from Competition Engineering...

"Ladder Bars vs. 4-Links:

4-Links offer more adjustment over Ladder Bars and can handle higher torque loads. With two bars per side, one on top and one on the bottom, you basically have an open ended Ladder Bar. You can adjust the suspension for different track conditions by manipulating the mounting positions in the frame and axle housing brackets. This gives you the option of making the intersection point, or point of "instant center," as far forward or rearward to suit your particular needs. The point of instant center is the location where the upper and lower links would intersect if imaginary lines extended from the front of the 4-Link bars. Unlike a Ladder Bar where the point of instant center is always located at the bar’s front mounting point, the instant center on a 4-Link changes quickly as the car is launched."

From my experience at wyotech and taking chassis fabrication classes, nothing beats a four-link due to its adjustability. But ladder bars can work just fine if you build them right. Its all in how you set either of them up.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said. I have ran both 4 link is hard to beat.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

id sugguest ladder bar, for the simple fact are you really gonna adjust your bars everytime you go to the track or different track? its not easy to accomplish on a lowered truck and still have the weight sitting on the ground!

if i could do it again id go ladder bar, but yeah i like my 4 link, just make sure you have hiem joints in all locations so it can be dialed and scaled properly
Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Baltimore Whore

Either one when set up correctly will work as well as the other. However like mentioned you get a little more adjustment from the 4 link vs the ladder bar set up. I have always noticed that 4 links were a little more noisey.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Resident Retard

I have doing alot of reading on this a couple of notes i thought i might mention.

One chasis shop website mention a parellel ladder bar setup may not be the best for DD because the axle may not twist when one side goes lower/higher than the other. For example hitting a pothole or going over a speed bump just on one side.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know nothing about the suspension's on our trucks but judging by the ladder bar setup on glock.its working pretty good.i haven't seen any stock bottom end 5.3 turbo truck with 4-link pulling the front tires yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Resident Retard

Yeah i don't know alot either, just posting up what i have read, i am hoping some guys with actual experience will post up their opinions, just like skeet did...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had ladder bars for couple yrs and untill recently started messing with the suspension my self and i managed a 1.48 sixty. I know with more tuning i sixty quicker. Im new to suspensions
Old 05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yea being a DD, you would prolly be happier with a Ladder bar style setup. Especially if you were to make the bars quite long so articualtion would still be good.

A straight 4 link isnt gonna to articulate near as good as a triangulated or double triangulated 4 link. but i dont see you trying to get 20" travel out of your street truck.

But if you did run a single triangulated 4 link you wouldnt need a panhard bar.. Something else to think about.

only suspension stuff i know about is limited to offroad type stuff so theres my pennys worth.

Quick Reply: Ladder bar or 4-link, which is better for trucks?