Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Killed my Yukon Duragrip after a month, carnage pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AxisT6 is checking to see what the warranty will do and give me his recommendation (as the local diff guru), then I will post up the route I plan to take. I'm planning on doing the swap myself this weekend. Axis walked me through it the first time as I watched, so I will soon find out how much I actually learned, haha. Anyone who wants to lend a hand is welcome to join on Sunday near the Galleria.

Originally Posted by BigKID
If for some reason they do not warranty it, you can buy the replacement spider gears and rebuild it. I broke the spiders in my Eaton back in '05 and replaced them with Yukon pieces and it has been great for 40+K miles now. Hopefully you just got a bum one and a new one will last. I am a fan of this style posi unit and wouldn't hesitate to change it out with another one under warranty.
I was hoping you would chime in, I saw that you busted your spider gears as well. Glad to hear you've had good experience with yours since the failure.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW I have had my ValueTrac for about 1.5 years. It isn't a DD anymore since I got the work truck, but I have no issues DDing it. Every once in a while I hear slight clunk accelerating into a tight turn.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Just ordered another Yukon Duragrip, as well as new ring bolts, carrier bearings and friction modifier, from Randy's Ring and Pinion. Great customer service, and axisT6 even conferenced in to make sure that everything was squared away.

It should arrive Friday or Saturday. I'm going to tackle the swap on Sunday. I'll post up how it goes.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Just ordered another Yukon Duragrip, as well as new ring bolts, carrier bearings and friction modifier, from Randy's Ring and Pinion. Great customer service, and axisT6 even conferenced in to make sure that everything was squared away.

It should arrive Friday or Saturday. I'm going to tackle the swap on Sunday. I'll post up how it goes.
Yeah, had great service and prices from Randy's. Hope the new one holds out.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:26 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that sucks man, hope all gets resolved, i love my truetrac so far no problems.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry for your luck man! hope you get things running soon. Truck and mods in sig. I love my trutrac as well. Seems to be solid and very smooth running diff.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

This happened to me twice. 6 teeth of the spiders the first time, 15 the second time. I'm going with a Detroit Locker this time around.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dick_landy
This happened to me twice. 6 teeth of the spiders the first time, 15 the second time. I'm going with a Detroit Locker this time around.

Photo
That's pretty crazy, I only found two broken teeth, but a couple others had some good gouges.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Installed the new one last night with a friend. Took about 6 hours taking our time, but I was happy since it was the first time tearing into one without an expert (axisT6) leading the way. Used the same shims and got 0.05-0.06" backlash. No noise or anything on the way to work today.

If I end up breaking this one too, I'm going with a Detroit Locker.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

The paper clutches with compress then spider gears get too much clearance and ride on out side of teeth and brake them off. Yes I said paper as that’s what they feel like and can just peel them apart at least the Eaton has not just forged gears but carbon clutches. So now have two of these for parts.
Spider gea sets are 220 so not really even worth trying to rebuild to sell as will never use their crap again.

Pile of Yukon crap
Lsa on my 07 tahoe and have killed two of these Yukon Chinese diffs in past two years. Thinking Eaton it now after reading this a Detroit locker style.

Quick Reply: Killed my Yukon Duragrip after a month, carnage pics inside