Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

I have alot of driveline slop!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:22 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I have alot of driveline slop!

so is my 80e taking a poopskie on me?

When parked I can turn the driveshaft by hand quite a bit, is this normal? thoughts?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:36 PM
what a rush!

ahhh, I may have overstated that a bit. I re-checked it just now, and the D/S rotated about an inch. Tranny locks it in place after it turns a bit. it just seemed like there was more play in it the other day....hmmm....maybe I am losing it
Old 05-03-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you get a clanging noise or driveline noise when you shift from park to reverse or from reverse to drive?
I did, until I pumped 12 pumps of grease at my driveshaft coupler by the carrier bearing. The noise prctically went away! I couldn't believe it.
And to think I brought it in to the dealership just for them to tell me it was normal. They could have at least greased it. Guess that's why it's better to do your own maintenance!
If you have a one piece shaft, then disregard this.

Jim
Old 05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Do you get a clanging noise or driveline noise when you shift from park to reverse or from reverse to drive?
I did, until I pumped 12 pumps of grease at my driveshaft coupler by the carrier bearing. The noise prctically went away! I couldn't believe it.
And to think I brought it in to the dealership just for them to tell me it was normal. They could have at least greased it. Guess that's why it's better to do your own maintenance!
If you have a one piece shaft, then disregard this.

Jim
hmmm, how did you pump it in? is there a zert fitting? or was this surgery on the boot?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

I just checked mine and with the trans in P the shaft is solid. With the trans in N and the parking brake on there is some play but no where near an inch. Is the play in the trans or the diff?
Old 05-03-2006, 07:08 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Mort
I just checked mine and with the trans in P the shaft is solid. With the trans in N and the parking brake on there is some play but no where near an inch. Is the play in the trans or the diff?
trans for sure
Old 05-03-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
hmmm, how did you pump it in? is there a zert fitting? or was this surgery on the boot?
Mine has a zert fitting. Is this on the 2500HD?? Is it 4wd?
Either way, there is trans mesh tolerances that are a little excessive in GM trucks. I have a TSB that was given to me when I brought it in for the driveline slack. GM states this is normal. They allow even more tolerance in 4wd & AWD models. My brothers Z71 had a lot of slack in the driveline. He brought his in when it was under warranty and they told him it was normal as well. Though he had both the trans and transfer case rebuilt a few months ago. There isn't near as much slack in his driveline anymore.
My truck only has 24,000 miles on it and I have alomost an inch of play in the driveshaft.
I think GM has been getting a bit too sloppy lately with quality and workmanship of our vehicles.

Jim
Old 05-03-2006, 10:15 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Mine has a zert fitting. Is this on the 2500HD?? Is it 4wd?
Either way, there is trans mesh tolerances that are a little excessive in GM trucks. I have a TSB that was given to me when I brought it in for the driveline slack. GM states this is normal. They allow even more tolerance in 4wd & AWD models. My brothers Z71 had a lot of slack in the driveline. He brought his in when it was under warranty and they told him it was normal as well. Though he had both the trans and transfer case rebuilt a few months ago. There isn't near as much slack in his driveline anymore.
My truck only has 24,000 miles on it and I have alomost an inch of play in the driveshaft.
I think GM has been getting a bit too sloppy lately with quality and workmanship of our vehicles.

Jim
dammit, I must have missed that zert fitting when I did my chassis lube, I'm on it
Old 05-06-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Originally Posted by moregrip
dammit, I must have missed that zert fitting when I did my chassis lube, I'm on it
So how did your grease session come out? Did you find the zert fitting?
Did it help any?

Jim
Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parking pawl on a 4L80-E engages The output carrier. The output shaft is splined to this piece.

It's probably just the parking mechanism. I wouldn't stress about it, that's nothing.

Quick Reply: I have alot of driveline slop!