Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

How to build stock drivetrain for FI...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to build stock drivetrain for FI...

I finally sold my quad, and have the money for pretty much everything I'm gonna need on the engine side of my Procharger build. As far as my drivetrain goes, everything is stock. I don't have the cash right now to buy a Performabuilt tranny, but am planning on buying one of their transmissions this summer when I have the money. Still have the stock G80 and 3.73's in the rear.

I guess my question is what would you recommend I do to my drivetrain to make it last 6 months or so under this kind of power? I realize that 90% of this all relates to how it's driven, but I also realize that I could tromp on it once cruising down the highway and be out a tranny in a matter of seconds. I plan on babying the truck as much as possible until I can build it right, but I also know I'm going to want to play every once in awhile too.

I was thinking about doing a Circle D stall, stage 2 shift kit, and billet servo's, but other than that I am clueless. How well would those mods help hold me over until I can get a tranny that is built right? What other budget minded mods could I do to help out? Frankly, I know next to nothing about transmissions and am worried I may end up with an out-of-service DD.

Also, what about u-joints and the G80? I never hear much about them breaking, but also know that most people run eaton posi's here. Keep in mind that I'm a college student trying to build a bit of a hot-rod daily driver on a budget. My only income comes in the summer, which is why I have to wait until then to buy a built tranny. Thanks