Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

The Hotchkis Sway Bars are Installed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Hotchkis Sway Bars are Installed...

Ok, I installed my Hotchkis swaybar set yesterday. Here are thoughts on the install:

Front:
1) Very easy, simple remove and replace.
2) I torqued the sway bar mounts to GM's spec of 24 ft-lbs, not 20 ft-lbs per the hotchkis manual.
3) I also did not torque the endlinks to the 13 ft-lbs that hotchkis manual stated, I shot for the 89 in-lbs that the GM manual says and played it by feel and sight.

Rear:
1) This was the most time consuming part of the overall install.
2) You do not have to remove and/or move the gas tank, you can simply slip the backing plate through a hole in the frame.
3) Alignment is critical and very time consuming. Take your time to measure and mark before drilling into the frame. I ended up making my dog bone mounts flush to the outside of the frome for both sides.

And some thoughts on the ride:

The truck drives very nice. It is without a doubt more stable on the highway and makes driving through the twisties more fun. It isn't a sports car, but it does provide more confidence while taking corners. GM should have built the truck this way from the factory.

Here are some pics (click to enlarge)

Jeff
Old 04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Nice, interesting to see that your rear bar attaches forward instead of reverse like my Addco did.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to know that you dont have to move/remove the tank. looks good... i drive too fast around corners... i need that, lol

where did you buy these from? link me.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

I bought them from Tbyrne during the group purchase. Group purchase or not, he still has the cheapest prices for the Hotchkis sway bars. You'll love them, I sure do.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

i beg to differ. not all people have to move the tank, there is no way i could have got mine in there without moving it a little , my gas tank has virtually no gap between the frame and tank. its not that bad though just two screws on the filler neck and two bolts that hold the straps. just enough to move it over a little! i love the sway bars so much, i am pissed i waited so long to do them! they go great with a drop and some low pro tires!definatley worth the money imo!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

2004ss, I was able to slip the backing plate through a hole on the outside of the frame, not between the inside of the frame and gas tank. There is no room between the frame (inside) and the gas tank.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

thanks unklej... that is the cheapest ive seen too.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Regular

No prob, I forgot post that it took me and a friend roughly 3-4 hours to install going at a slow "****" pace.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

thats not bad... being **** is good with stuff like that. Do it right, do it light. Do it wrong, do it long.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Fast lane preferred

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

nice!!! I have been wanting some of these for a while. I nearly bought some with the group purchase. I really should have.

Quick Reply: The Hotchkis Sway Bars are Installed...