Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

High HP (1500hp+) 4L80e Parts Selection

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High HP (1500hp+) 4L80e Parts Selection

Hello, this thread is vastly different compared to my other 4L80e thread. My other thread is about a ~500hp build behind a gasser, this thread is about a competition level 4L80e build that will eventually be behind a 1500hp+/2000-2500ft-lbs Duramax diesel in a drag truck. My question is more about hard parts and clutch selection. I currently have a full built comp unit from Twisted Diesel but I would like to build another trans to either have as a spare or to use this Twisted unit as a spare. This truck will weigh right around 5000lb and be used as a drag truck and on race week. Goerend or Precision will be doing the converter. The trans is controlled by a PCS2800. Cooling is handled by a Derale 65861 rated at 20gpm/125k BTU with a Spal fan.

Thus far I came up with the below components:
1) Reid "Super 80" case and bellhousing (S80 & BH801)
2) Billet input, either Sonnax Aermet 100 or ATI Vasco
3) Billet main shaft, either Sonnax Aermet 100 or ATI Vasco
4) Billet forward clutch hub, Sonnax (34322-02K)
5) Billet OD planet, TCS (279741)
6) 36 element super drum kit, ATI (407059) or CK Performance
7) 5 pinion planetary set, GM/ACDelco
8) Clutch kit? I don't know what to use here. I know high energy frictions are usually recommended but I have also seen reference to Allison clutches.
9) Rollerized output, any other locations need to be done besides the front drum above?
10) Press fit sun gear shaft, CK Performance
11) Extreme duty forward clutch hub pressure plate/direct drive hub, CK Performance
12) Dual feed the directs internally
13) All new electronics
14) Oversized center support with billet intermediate clutch piston, CK Performance
15) Hydraulic mods?
16) ATI direct fit catch can, ATI 707611

Old 02-22-2022, 08:05 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I hit the easy button and just went to jake's performance and purchased the stage 5 rebuild kit and their trans brake.
The following users liked this post:
wretched73 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I hit the easy button and just went to jake's performance and purchased the stage 5 rebuild kit and their trans brake.
I've thought about just sending a Reid case to Twisted or another builder (if this trans holds up to the abuse) and saying "do it again but in here" but I do build Allison's with great success so it wouldn't be a bad skill to have. I'm not doubting my ability to build it, I am just not knowledgeable on parts selection.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:24 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Jake's website gives his exact recipe. I'm sure he'd appreciate your business since he did a lot of the homework and puts the info out there for free. If you go the reid case route I'd definitely be hitting up jake's or Rossler for their built pieces.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXsilverado:
Bdsankey (02-22-2022), wretched73 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 09:37 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I wish Vince B. Still frequented the form. This stuff is right up his alley and he is in Illinois.
I know we have some stuff in a thread on here like the dual feed mod. But I am sure there is more out there that we don't have documented.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I wish Vince B. Still frequented the form. This stuff is right up his alley and he is in Illinois.
I know we have some stuff in a thread on here like the dual feed mod. But I am sure there is more out there that we don't have documented.
That's how it always goes.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I commented on your parts list on LS1tech.
I'll repeat my sentiment here since it seems like others are echoing it

This is not the realm of "first time 4l80e builder"
Something of this caliber requires much more than just a credit card and a nice parts list.
Most of the stuff you have listed will likely require machining and effort just to make it all FIT...let alone work together properly.

your success with allison transmissions is definetly good to know and congrats, but it's a different world.
That is a totally different unit and truth be told, that unit needs alot of work too that is often overlooked.

ALOT of big names in the business do "just good enough"
Most people are happy with a trans that just doesn't eat itself alive every season...that's an INCREDIBLY low bar in my opinion.
The 4l80e has so much left on the table that most builders don't even know about, and the ones that do, often don't take the time or initiative to do it right anyway.

Hours and hours of hydraulic study, hundreds (maybe thousands now) of dollars worth of thrown away parts that have been either purposely or otherwise ruined through machining to try something new, theories tested and experimented...some worked some didn't etc

If you want to try this yourself, more power to you. I don't want to discourage anybody from trying something themselves...after all, that's how I started and how EVERY other builder started.
I just want you to prepare for headache and heartache the same way any other builder has experienced those things haha

Best of luck to you sir!
Old 02-22-2022, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I commented on your parts list on LS1tech.
I'll repeat my sentiment here since it seems like others are echoing it

This is not the realm of "first time 4l80e builder"
Something of this caliber requires much more than just a credit card and a nice parts list.
Most of the stuff you have listed will likely require machining and effort just to make it all FIT...let alone work together properly.

your success with allison transmissions is definetly good to know and congrats, but it's a different world.
That is a totally different unit and truth be told, that unit needs alot of work too that is often overlooked.

ALOT of big names in the business do "just good enough"
Most people are happy with a trans that just doesn't eat itself alive every season...that's an INCREDIBLY low bar in my opinion.
The 4l80e has so much left on the table that most builders don't even know about, and the ones that do, often don't take the time or initiative to do it right anyway.

Hours and hours of hydraulic study, hundreds (maybe thousands now) of dollars worth of thrown away parts that have been either purposely or otherwise ruined through machining to try something new, theories tested and experimented...some worked some didn't etc

If you want to try this yourself, more power to you. I don't want to discourage anybody from trying something themselves...after all, that's how I started and how EVERY other builder started.
I just want you to prepare for headache and heartache the same way any other builder has experienced those things haha

Best of luck to you sir!
You are 100% correct, there is a ton on the Allison that some builders completely overlook or don't understand why they're doing it.

As for the 4L80e, I know a few people running these 4L80e from Twisted that are getting 300+ passes at 1200-1300hp/5000lb and still looking great upon teardown. At the end of the day if I can get it to a point where I am able to do clutch/seal refreshes (IE have a builder do the "heavy lifting") when required would be ideal but at that point it's likely not a ton more to just send it back to XYZ builder and have them go through everything.
Old 02-22-2022, 09:52 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

While Brad is new to this forum and the LS1 tech side, He is pretty accomplished on the diesel side of turning wrenches.
Even though the TH400 might be a new venture for him, I am sure he will learn alot from trial and error.

How ever he is not afraid to take that on and this is not another driveway rebuild.
The following users liked this post:
Bdsankey (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
While Brad is new to this forum and the LS1 tech side, He is pretty accomplished on the diesel side of turning wrenches.
Even though the TH400 might be a new venture for him, I am sure he will learn alot from trial and error.

How ever he is not afraid to take that on and this is not another driveway rebuild.

I don't know if I'd say accomplished, I'm just too stupid to quit....... On another note, I should have some pics of the triples in the truck tonight for mockup.

Quick Reply: High HP (1500hp+) 4L80e Parts Selection