Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Help Selecting Shocks!! Drag or Street?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Selecting Shocks!! Drag or Street?

I was debating on what type of shocks to get and need some help.

2004 Silverado Shortbed Standard cab. Eibach 2" drop in front with 2" Drop hangers in the rear.
Yank Pro Truck 3200 with 550rwhp turbo.

I want it to perform well at the strip but also handle in the turns as well..

Is there a shock out there with that much flexibility or should I pick what I would like it to perform better at Drag or Handling.

Also would I help to just get rear drag shocks and street fronts?

Any feedback will help.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Anyone?

What do most of you run for all around?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:29 PM
formerly b4vwannabe (2/4/2012)

I run McGaughy's shocks in the rear of my NBS CC & love them but it's at 6-7" drop in the rear. I don't think they make stock replacements. With only 2" drop in the rear, I think you can run stock replacements with no problems. I think there are a few people on here who are running qa1's.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calvert racing sells adjustable shocks for 99 each.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSXPERT
I was debating on what type of shocks to get and need some help.

2004 Silverado Shortbed Standard cab. Eibach 2" drop in front with 2" Drop hangers in the rear.
Yank Pro Truck 3200 with 550rwhp turbo.

I want it to perform well at the strip but also handle in the turns as well..

Is there a shock out there with that much flexibility or should I pick what I would like it to perform better at Drag or Handling.

Also would it help to just get rear drag shocks and street fronts?

Any feedback will help. ...
Judging by your truck & where u live, I'm thinkin this is a summer only or toy, that would be helpful to know.

For all around, some like the Belltech Street & Performance. I run em, but some like Corey (Black GMC) hate em. I don't think they have as much flexibility (they don't, let's not minch words here) as a QA1. There are some shocks for handling & others for drag, but not many for both. Makes it a short list. To me, since I run them (but only in summer cause winters are a bit harsh here on alum bodies, tho they may have a steel version), I love QA1's versatility for both handling & drag. If I lived in TX or somewhere warm yr round that didn't salt, I'd run em yr round. Double adjustables are mine, tho singles are available for less.

I'd also look at some Rancho RS9000's adjustables (I believe that's the name or just 9000) but they might only work on a stock height, but at only 2" difference, it might not be an issue. Bilstein offers a direct fit drop shock on '88-98, but it pissed me off when I found out not for ours, that's how I arrived at QA1s. I also looked at the Rancho 9000 adjustables & Edelbrock IAS's. If Bilstein did, I might be running them today, not that I don't like my QA1s. IMO, u could measure compressed, extended & regular ride height & shop their catalog for a shock. I didn't wanna do that, but in the end, that's exactly what I did to get my QA1's.

Bilstein cost & quality are nice IMO. I'd also look at some Edelbrock IAS's. Koni was supposed to be in R&D on some but I don't think it ever happened. AFCO could be another worthy option, again, measurements are likely needed, but I'd say they're a custom shock made to those spec's. I'd call to ask them but they may be more drag or handling, not both, call to confirm.

To boil it all down, I'd look at 3 in no order: QA1, Edelbrock, Rancho 9000 adjustables. If Bilstein has somethin for u, their cost & reputation could be a less expensive option. I think they have a HD & a Sport vers., I'd spring for the HD version. In fact, if I keep my 89 c1500, that's what I'll run. Again, I'm not sure what's out there now, as some info may've changed since I looked & I looked at em all.

Probable Cost:IAS & Bilstein now like probably cost ~$75-80 ea.

QA1 single adj: ~$150 give or take. QA1 dbls:$250.

As an option, u could get dbls at 1 end, & singles at another from whoever. Or later upgrade to dbl's on both ends when u can afford, that was my theory. But I may just get singles up front when time comes. It's just money.

Also I never gave much thought of how good it'd work to do what u said, "would it help to just get rear drag shocks and street fronts?"

Last edited by fastnblu; 08-13-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies!

Fastnblu I appreciate the feed back from your experiences. I will look into the options you gave me.

I seen a lot of guys are running competition engineering drag shocks set at 50/50 and love them.

I thought about a drag in the rear and street in the front.

Another thing I was looking at was ride quality. Right now with stock shocks my truck rides like hell on un even roads.