Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

help diagnosing tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts
Default help diagnosing tranny problem

ok on the way home i started experiencing problems. at a 60 punch it downshifted then immediatly upshifted. i thought it was wierd so i tried it again. it sounded like it shifted to 2nd but it felt sluggish then it shifted out around 5000 instead of 6500. from a 20 punch it shifs to 2nd instead of 1st and shifts out way early too like 45-55....when its in third it feels like it gets another shift in...this is a fuddle 3600 converter in a performabuilt transmission. im hoping for a best case scenario and it be converter issues...

tranny fluid is pink as can be, filled to perfect level and smells fine. tranny has never even been close to 200*.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trans is electronically controlled it souonds like you have and elecronics/sensor issue te trans cannot up or downshift on its own it can only do what its comanded to do by the PCM this is not likley a converter or trans issue however left unattended it could become both. You need to data log it and see whats being comanded when these things happen also if you have a K&N oiled filter try cleaning the MAF
Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The trans is electronically controlled it souonds like you have and elecronics/sensor issue te trans cannot up or downshift on its own it can only do what its comanded to do by the PCM this is not likley a converter or trans issue however left unattended it could become both. You need to data log it and see whats being comanded when these things happen also if you have a K&N oiled filter try cleaning the MAF
i forgot about yalls late night service. yall rock! im guna shoot you a call after dinner and explain in more detail. how hard are these sensors to get to? i will clean my maf tonight but i doubt thats it. it was a very sudden change and when i drop the truck in neutral it rev's just as great as it did before.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Sure give me a call , The MAF was just and idea you will need to run a scanner or data logger on it to make any real determination , Sudden change like that would also indicate and electrical/sensor issue. These trans just cant do anything on there own lol.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Sure give me a call , The MAF was just and idea you will need to run a scanner or data logger on it to make any real determination , Sudden change like that would also indicate and electrical/sensor issue. These trans just cant do anything on there own lol.
how expensive are these sensors, how hard are they to replace and are they covered under warranty?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Well shift problems like you are describing are generally not caused by things inside the trans but rather the PCM is comanding the wrong thing other than the position sensor there are no actual sensors in the trans only solenoids, The likely auses for early upshifts and erratic behavior are . MAF, TPS, VSS, sensors, Many times people fail to understand that the trans (4l60e65e ETC) does not have a brain of its own it can only do whats its being told , For instance the early upshift can only happen if the PCM tells the trans to do it , It has no mind of its own, Not like the old days when a trans was a trans and its did everything itself now everythings related , ENGINE sensors affect trans operation heavily .
Old 10-29-2007, 08:15 PM

well its been shifting perfect for 4 months now up until now. ill try cleaning the maf, i have a spare tps sensor at my dads garage..

was the acronym vss mean? what other sensors are there? this is freakin me out haha. i put alot of time and research into my tranny and converter to avoid crap like this hahah. now something else is jacking with me. if cleaning the maf dosent do it i can probably get it hooked up on hp tomorrow and see what it says.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

VSS is the vehicle speed sensor , there are literally lots of things that could happen the HP TUNER would be most helpfull , Remember no codes does not mean no problem. And while you work this out take it easy on her as we dont want you actually developing a trans/converter issue .
Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 PM

cleaned the maf and took it out. same problem. if i manually shift everything seems cool and it goes crazy spinnin all over the road from a 3o punch again. if i let it downshift on its own it feels like the scion tc haha.

taking it easy will be tough but ill do my best. ill try and get it on hp during lunch tomorrow and ill get back to you. i hope its not speed sensors! those lil bastards are expensive!
Old 10-30-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep us posted, just got a re-tune tonite for my gears and i am experiencing this same exact problem.

Quick Reply: help diagnosing tranny problem