Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Guys with homemade flips, got a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:14 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
You do not want your cal tracs to dictate your pinion angle. This will give you way too much preload on the spring and un-needed stress on the whole system. Get your angle right by either shimming or adjusting your perches accordingly. If your caltracs are properly adjusted the roller will barely touch the top of the leaf on one side, and about 1/16" gap between the roller and leaf on the other... You can adjust them from there for best results but do not tighten them so much it affects your pinion angle.
no more than 1 full turn right? so am I on the right trac for setting my pinion angle? I was going for -3*, but am not 100% sure. what side will have the gap between the roller? it all depends on which way the motor torqs?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The right side should be a little tighter than the left giving it more preload but how much will vary with each vehicle's power and traction. Start out with your pinion angle at -3 and go from there. The caltracs will still allow your pinion to rotate, but uses that same force transferred from the bar, to the plate, to the roller, to the leafsprings to drive the tires into the pavement. The angle of the bar also determines your instant center... Which determines lift forces and PR (percentage of rise) on the front end. There's a lot more to getting a suspension to work than just the rear. Anti-squat is built into these bars just by how they are designed.

I've mentioned the other caltrac designs in other threads and how they are built differently. These have more adjustability and the ability to achieve better bar angles which in-turn applies different forces to the bars and finally the suspension and tires.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:16 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
The right side should be a little tighter than the left giving it more preload but how much will vary with each vehicle's power and traction. Start out with your pinion angle at -3 and go from there. The caltracs will still allow your pinion to rotate, but uses that same force transferred from the bar, to the plate, to the roller, to the leafsprings to drive the tires into the pavement. The angle of the bar also determines your instant center... Which determines lift forces and PR (percentage of rise) on the front end. There's a lot more to getting a suspension to work than just the rear. Anti-squat is built into these bars just by how they are designed.

I've mentioned the other caltrac designs in other threads and how they are built differently. These have more adjustability and the ability to achieve better bar angles which in-turn applies different forces to the bars and finally the suspension and tires.
wow man thanks for the info. Corey had told me you were the go to guy for getting the most out of my suspension at the track. I didnt know there were other designs for trucks. are you talking about long bars?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I wouldn't exactly call myself the "go-to" anything... I'm still learning every day. But since I've been in the build phase for an extended period of time with my project I have done a good bit of homework mainly to apply to mine when setting it up for it's first few outings and getting everything dialed in to get the best 60' time that x amount of power/traction/weight can achieve. Like I said, Ive learned a lot but I'm only scratching the surface of what I really need to have in my mental track library LOL
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

And as for the other bars... Calvert has truck specific cal-tracs now... Even for lifted trucks that do sled pulling etc... I think with a couple of tweaks that those would be the ideal way for 90% of the leaf-spring guys to go.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any more info on the truck specific cal tracs. Very interested
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Aklowrider posted a page in the drag racing section... I'm guessing you can go on their site and check them out.