Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products

Hey guys! Been a long while since I've been on the site. Been busy building a business the past year or so and haven't had any time to work on the truck. Since I work in the differential, transmission, and transfer case industry, I've been wanting to test a few products, and get my hands dirty again.

I've been planning on putting an Eaton posi and going back to 4.10 gears in my truck for a while. I don't drive the truck on the freeway much anymore so the 3.42's aren't too fun with the gutless 4.8L around town. 4.10's should wake the truck up quite at bit. Ever since I added the turbo, I've noticed the Auburn posi doesn't pull strait anymore. It's obviously adding more power to one of the tires as anytime I get on it, it wants to go completely sideways. Here is a list of how the truck is set up now:

- Engine -
4.8L shortblock
ISKY Triple 12
Holley Hi-Ram
S475/83 T4

- Rear End -
Auburn Positraction
Motive 3.42 Gears
Girdle Cover

I called a few manufacturers and they sent some goodies for me to test. Instead of going with the Eaton posi right now, Powertrax is having me test their new Grip Pro (Truetrac style) posi. I guess they a have local nitrous guy running one in his 9". He is running around 800hp to the tire and having good luck so far. So I'll beat the hell out of it and see how it holds up to the turbo. Should be interesting! For gears, I've always run Motive with good luck but I thought I'd switch it up and called Revolution Gear. Jeep guys love them and I'd like to see their quality and set up. They sent their 2cut / dry cut gears out for me to beat on.

Everything should be here wednesday. I'll get pictures up and keep the thread updated as I install everything. Hopefully some good burnout vids to come!
Old 10-01-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Very nice, I like.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

What are you guys using to post pictures on here now that photobucket **** the bed?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Is the grip pro essientially like a torsen style diff?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:55 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

That's pretty cool you get to test out the Powertrax. I'm about to pull the trigger on a carrier and a set of gears for my 8.6 2000 GMC. Still up in the air between the Eaton and the Yukon lsd clutch style posi. Can't decide between 4.10's or 4.30's either... keep going back and forth dammit! I'm ordering something tomorrow, may just have to flip a coin.

You wouldn't have a part number for a cheap inner pinion bearing I can hone out for a test bearing? Found a "National M802048" on Amazon and their system say's it will fit but you know has flaky that can be

Yeah post up some install tips and pics, the last rear I did was in 1979, it was a 64 Corvette posi (GM Dana) carrier for a 1957 Chevrolet. So yeah I'm a bit rusty.

Amazon National M802048 Amazon National M802048

Originally Posted by oakley6575
What are you guys using to post pictures on here now that photobucket **** the bed?
I use imgur.com it's just as good if not better than photobucket IMO. Photobucket owners need a good beatdown for f'n up all the forums on the internet. When you research anything that has missing PB images you get half the info.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I used a Timken M802048 bearing to hone out as a setup bearing, so it's likely the same bearing as what you listed. The Timken is $14.78 with prime shipping. I also bought the inner bearing and honed it out to make it even easier
The following users liked this post:
RedXray (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Ive been loading them as an attachment through the forum software
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arthursc2
I've had forums randomly delete my pics. Just saying.

+1 for imgur. Plus it makes it easy to manage my pics.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Is the grip pro essientially like a torsen style diff?
Yes its direct competition for the Detroit Trutrac. The Powertrax is priced a lot better so I'm interested to see if it can handle abuse.

Originally Posted by RedXray
That's pretty cool you get to test out the Powertrax. I'm about to pull the trigger on a carrier and a set of gears for my 8.6 2000 GMC. Still up in the air between the Eaton and the Yukon lsd clutch style posi. Can't decide between 4.10's or 4.30's either... keep going back and forth dammit! I'm ordering something tomorrow, may just have to flip a coin.

I use imgur.com it's just as good if not better than photobucket IMO. Photobucket owners need a good beatdown for f'n up all the forums on the internet. When you research anything that has missing PB images you get half the info.
Yea I agree with you. Its crazy how much many forums are unreadable now.

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Originally Posted by tgui
I've had forums randomly delete my pics. Just saying.

+1 for imgur. Plus it makes it easy to manage my pics.
Thanks guys! I'll give both a try and see which I prefer.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Got everything in yesterday afternoon. I'm really impressed with the Revolution Gears and the posi. Both look great and the gears look like some of the highest quality I've ever seen.

I couldn't leave everything on the bench so I started pressing the bearings on and installed the ring gear on the carrier. Went to Walmart yesterday and got 3qts of gear oil, and some 10w40 for the engine. Now I need to put the truck on stands and tear it down. Hopefully I'll start on it soon. Here are some pics of everything.

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-sttdoq3.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-gfsacnb.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-s5iln6s.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-vrgzvvf.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-ovrimlw.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-v6twmmv.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-92mlqrl.jpg

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-sifhtn7.jpg

Once I got everything pressed on and spinning..

GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products-1sgb1w2.jpg

Quick Reply: GM 8.6" 10 Bolt Rebuild - Testing New Products