Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Gears and Posi Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears and Posi Suggestions

I have an 03 Silverado with a 4.8 that I have installed a 3200 stall and cam. Looking to do performance gears and posi now. Can someone recommend a kit that will give me that low end torque and horsepower I need since the 4.8 is a turtle off the line? This is a daily drive and I do take trips with it every so often.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

4:56's and a Detroit truetrac FTW
Old 09-01-2017, 01:29 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a little counter intuitive to use the "power band" description when trying to describe the characteristics of a gear/converter swap. They don't really change the power band of the motor, just what part of it you end up using.

Yeah, 4.88's will feel like you gained a **** ton of bottom, but what you really did was move the "used rpm range" up higher at slower vehicle speeds.

So it normally will come with some degree of less performance somewhere else. A 4.88 will feel like a brick **** house between stop lights, but you will run out of capable speed at the rpm limit.

Make sense?

I do agree with the above poster though. If the truck is cam'd to match that 3200 converter, a 4.+ gear will be a nice complement. It'll help to keep the converter slip in check at highway speeds, and likely tighten the converter up a small bit.