Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

FYI Lowering nbs 07 Silverado for DIYers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
spacers are simple to take out, just a centre tab on them, nothing threaded.
good idea to go to a spring shop to get some big washers, there are no extra threads on the ubolt, removal will give you about 1.25 inches
he's a pic with the whells

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=393444

OK, thanks for the info. I might try to find another set of u-bolts, big washer spacers are kinda hack if you know what I mean (I'm fussy). Your truck looks excellent with those wheels....
Old 06-04-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't really need u bolts, a spring shop will have a big fat washer, specific for
u-bolts, or you could get some stainless washers for appearances, much less hack than changing u-bolts,
if you are fussy, i'm ****.
it's more a spacer than a washer, probably 1/4 "
i'd rather have the stock u-bolts with the correct washer than rusty after market
u-bolts.
you are not likely to find factory u-bolts that are shorter than what's ones on the truck, mine is 2wd so there is not much shorter unless it was a 2wd work truck maybe
you could also take the u-bolts off the truck and run a die on them to get a few more threads but that's alot of extra work
Old 06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

you don't really need u bolts, a spring shop will have a big fat washer, specific for
u-bolts, or you could get some stainless washers for appearances, much less hack than changing u-bolts,
if you are fussy, i'm ****.
it's more a spacer than a washer, probably 1/4 "
i'd rather have the stock u-bolts with the correct washer than rusty after market
u-bolts.
you are not likely to find factory u-bolts that are shorter than what's ones on the truck, mine is 2wd so there is not much shorter unless it was a 2wd work truck maybe
you could also take the u-bolts off the truck and run a die on them to get a few more threads but that's alot of extra work
No offence meant, I'm just very uptight with my mods, they gotta look stock...don't want a bunch of obvious extra hardware on there for GM to notice if there is ever a issue with anything on the truck. If I can find a thick spacer/washer, then fair enough, was thinking thin washers and you gotta admit that would look pretty silly with a bunch of washers stacked up!!

If I found aftermarket u-bolts (which they would have to be as you said, GM won't have anything shorter I'm sure) they would get treated before going on.

I don't think I would try to run the threads up any further, thats asking for trouble, I'm sure they are rolled threads and then heat treated so cutting new ones would be risky IMHO. I'm sure lots of guys have done it though.

Thanks for the tips. You gotta wonder why GM added that block anyway, things sit way too high even without that extra inch in there...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no offence taken, we both take pride in our new rigs....
spacer is the correct word, i didn't put a stack of washers in there, would only wear and loosen.
you really need zip space to take up

PS, I have having Nolan @ Campbell's in Edm do my tune.
From what he says it will be a BIG improvement.
I'll let you know when he's done, you may want to look into it.

Last edited by Allgonoshow; 06-04-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

PS, I have having Nolan @ Campbell's in Edm do my tune.
From what he says it will be a BIG improvement.
I'll let you know when he's done, you may want to look into it.
For sure, please post or PM me with results.Some guys in Calgary too, but haven't talked to anyone who has done a NNBS yet...