Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Fuddle Converter Issues...Other Options...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 PM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just an update....

The paint wasn't burnt on the converter, so that's a good sign.

I tried an additive (actually two) by LubeGard, and it fixed the chattering for a day, then it started doing it again. It's chattering pretty bad, so I'm worried that simply installing the FLT built valve body (Fuddles second recommendation) won't cure it. He said he would replace it under warranty, but if the next converter starts doing the same thing in a few months, I'm right back where I started.

I'm contemplating just getting a 2600 stall Yank, having the Fuddle repaired under warranty and then selling the Fuddle to 'pay for' the Yank. I'm happy with John's service, but even if he fixes them under warranty, I still have to pay to replace the converter and I can't keep doing that. What's to say the next one won't do the same thing?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've "heard" a few issues wit the quality of the Fuddles, but it seems most are people that have "heard" of someone having issues. Personally if I would have had the $$$ and a 2wd I would have gone with a PI. But I didn't. I do personally know quite a few people that have had issues with Yanks though. which I'm sure means about the same to you as someone else saying they have heard of issues with the fuddles. I had issues with Fuddles customer service, but have heard that has since improved. Also I have heard of one actual problem with a Fuddle converter, but from my understanding he went from a tripe disc to a larger single disc, so make sure you are aware of which Fuddles have the issues. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting on a Fuddle bandwagon, but from my PERSONAL experience, I prefer my Fuddle over a Yank, or Vig for what I want.

I respect Vince's opinion very much, if he says a PI is the way to go, go that route. I was unaware they handled them when I bought my FLT, or I would have gotten one, but I'm happy with what I have, and don't plan on changing it anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:37 PM

I hear what you're saying. It all goes back to 'ask ten people the same question and you'll get ten different answers'. If I didn't have to pay someone to do the install (mind you this is on a Z71 which means it's more costly), it wouldn't be much of an issue to me. But I do have to pay someone which makes me leery of installing a second Fuddle. John is a great guy - very helpful. But that doesn't put the $400 in my wallet for switching out converters.

I may have a line on a Vigilante, just waiting on more info.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM XLR8NSS. He had a Vig for sale not too long ago. I dont know if he ever sold it.

BTW, my Fuddle broke its hub after about a year. John is going to replace it under warranty. I still bought a vig and installed it. Once I fix the Fuddle I am going to sell it. It worked great until it broke
Old 01-27-2007, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I'll do that.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Yea, I have a Z-71 too, I know what you mean, but after 7 trannys, swapping the converter out wasn't a big deal (my first was stalled wrong) Good luck with the Vig. Wish I could try one out
Old 06-24-2007, 08:51 PM

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead, but it turned out the Fuddle converter was shot. John was really cool about it and honored the warranty and let me send it back in, etc. When the converter was pulled, it was full of clutch material. I'm not putting that much power to the wheels, so I don't know why the clutch went to pot.

Anyway, I was searching the forums because I have a Yank 2600 now and am thinking of going to a 3000 or 3200. Anyway, thought I'd kind of finalize this post with what the problem was and where I'm at now.

I've gone to a bigger cam - all my mods are in my sig. I've lost a lot of low end torque with the cam (SCREAMS mid- to top-end though) so I'm thinking of swapping converters. We'll see...
Old 06-27-2007, 01:36 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Lol, thats crazy, a couple of weeks ago, mine quit locking up.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Notorious BIG

I don't know if it helps any but i've had my Yank TT2600 in for about a year with no issues at all. It also cut .4 off my 60ft!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally got my fuddle installed 2 months ago and mine runs perfectly fine..

Quick Reply: Fuddle Converter Issues...Other Options...?