Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front Coil Spring Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front Coil Spring Removal

Truck is a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 RWD

What is the easiest way to go about removing the coil springs? Im trying to replace both front coils and shocks in my truck. What I've done so far is, lifted truck on jack stands, removed wheels, taken out the shock, removed stabilizer bar link, and compressed spring with internal spring compressor.

I was trying to remove the lower control arm from the steering knuckle as that is supposed to be the last step to lower control arm to get the spring out, but its stuck on there pretty good and i didn't want to use a fork and destroy my ball joint boot... wasn't planning on replacing those and not sure i have the time to do the extra work.

Any other suggestions or tips to get the spring out? I need the help badly, thanks in advance.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Put a jack under the lower control arm and put some pressure on it. Smack the knuckle with a mini sledge and it'll pop loose. Turn the knuckle left and right and hit both sides, it'll come loose. Do not get tempted to hit the balljoint stud, unless you're replacing them that day as well. Once that's loose, you can remove the spindle and carefully lower the Jack to relieve the spring pressure and remove it.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i read someplace here on the forum a member just takes out the 2 lower control arm bolts and lets the control arm drop from the frame and takes them out that way, haven't tried it yet since i been to busy to get my coil overs in

if you try it make sure to have a good heavy duty jack that you can lower slowly
Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stroker87
i read someplace here on the forum a member just takes out the 2 lower control arm bolts and lets the control arm drop from the frame and takes them out that way, haven't tried it yet since i been to busy to get my coil overs in

if you try it make sure to have a good heavy duty jack that you can lower slowly
That sounds like a terrible idea. Just do it the way I described above, has worked countless times for myself and other members
Old 08-05-2019, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
That sounds like a terrible idea.
im not sure id call it terrible? maybe a real time saving way since your not taking apart every thing you do the traditional way

some times those ball joints dont play nicely, spent 4 hours last month on a friends truck it was stubborn ended up replacing them it when we installed drop spindles
Old 08-05-2019, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Popping the bolts out of the control arm mounts would cause the spring to rocket out of the truck uncontrollably. Terrible idea sounds about right. You said you read that method on the forum from another member, have you ever actually tried doing it? Also getting the control arms into the pocket and lining up the bolts is hard enough, couldn't imagine trying to do that with spring pressure in there balancing on a jack...

The method I described allows you to lower the control arm in a controlled method without injury.
The following users liked this post:
Feed (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

either way you do it that spring can be dangerous, yes i agree lining up those bolts might be challenging but so is separating the ball joints

i would not suggest a 1st timer give that way a try! some one who has worked on front ends a bunch might be ok with it tho
Old 08-05-2019, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 304 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
Put a jack under the lower control arm and put some pressure on it. Smack the knuckle with a mini sledge and it'll pop loose. Turn the knuckle left and right and hit both sides, it'll come loose. Do not get tempted to hit the balljoint stud, unless you're replacing them that day as well. Once that's loose, you can remove the spindle and carefully lower the Jack to relieve the spring pressure and remove it.

This is the correct method. any other way you are taking your life in your hands.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:04 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

I use the same method as ILuvJDM but thread on the lower balljoint's spindle nut a few turns for extra safety while hammering on the spindle flats.
Feed (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I’ve done it both ways.

Taking the bolts on of the back of the control arm, terrible idea and a good way to lose your face.

Popping the lower ball joint loose is the safest of the 2 methods. Loosen the lower ball joint but, take a 2.5lb harbor freight hammer and smack it a few times until pops loose.

You'll need the truck up in the air a decent amount. Just slowly lower the jack, while standing to the side of the truck in case the jack slips and that fkn spring wants to rocket out of there like it had a bad night at Tacobell.
RedXray (08-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Front Coil Spring Removal