Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Front Bump Stops on 4/6 drop ? 03 Sierra

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bump Stops on 4/6 drop ? 03 Sierra

Picked up an 03 Sierra single cab with a 4/6 drop and noticed the front bump stops are missing. What size bump stops should I be using ? OEM ? Aftermarket ? Will I need to trim the bump stop ? Any input is appreciated

Old 11-12-2022, 10:21 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

On my 4/6 drop(spindles/springs) I'm not running any bump stops. I'm not seeing any witness marks from the lower control arm contacting the frame in your photo. Me personally, I'd rather have the extra suspension travel than banging off a bump stop and maybe causing "bump steer" YMMV.

Dug up an old photo from 2008 that shows no bump stops installed.

Front Bump Stops on 4/6 drop ? 03 Sierra-oe4ifme.jpg

Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

i do not have a bumpstop either on my 2/4
Old 11-12-2022, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RedXray
On my 4/6 drop(spindles/springs) I'm not running any bump stops. I'm not seeing any witness marks from the lower control arm contacting the frame in your photo. Me personally, I'd rather have the extra suspension travel than banging off a bump stop and maybe causing "bump steer" YMMV.

Dug up an old photo from 2008 that shows no bump stops installed.

One of the reasons I mention no bump stops is it seems the tire is rubbing on the top of the fender liner, I haven’t driven the truck enough to notice only test drove it then it went straight to the paint shop where it is currently. Based on receipts from previous owner it has a 4/6 installed but seems like it sits lower, maybe the torsion keys turned down? It has 275/45/20 so that could also be a factor idk I might be overthinking it lol this is my first lowered truck so I guess it’s just part of the game
Old 11-12-2022, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,173 Likes on 893 Posts

That looked like a 2wd from your photos
Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by shakenfake
That looked like a 2wd from your photos
You’re right I think the only 2wd that came with torsion bars are the 1500hd’s so my truck doesn’t have them…That being said I don’t want to lose too much travel but also don’t want to bottom out so I will likely get a pair of bump stops and trim down accordingly

Last edited by Blackz28ss; 11-12-2022 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Need to check compression height of your shocks. If compressed height is less than full suspension compression then no need for bumpstops except for preventing metal to metal contact. Otherwise, add the correct bumpstop length to keep the shock from bottoming out under compression.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:29 PM
100% Redneck

Originally Posted by Blackz28ss
One of the reasons I mention no bump stops is it seems the tire is rubbing on the top of the fender liner... It has 275/45/20 so that could also be a factor idk I might be overthinking it lol this is my first lowered truck so I guess it’s just part of the game
Mine rubs slightly but only rarely from big bumps or dips in the road. The 275/45/20 is the go to tire for a 4/6 drop and is what I'm running. If you limit suspension travel with a bump stop to keep the tire off the fender you're going to get bump steer, the truck drifts where it want's no matter steering input.

Here is a video of tire rub when I get to the top of the ramp. This road as some major dips and the only road in my area where I get tire rub. This video was shot 7 years ago and other than a slight annoyance on rare occasions this is not an issue for me YMMV.

Front Bump Stops on 4/6 drop ? 03 Sierra-tbl9jtx.jpg
Old 11-13-2022, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RedXray
Mine rubs slightly but only rarely from big bumps or dips in the road. The 275/45/20 is the go to tire for a 4/6 drop and is what I'm running. If you limit suspension travel with a bump stop to keep the tire off the fender you're going to get bump steer, the truck drifts where it want's no matter steering input.

Here is a video of tire rub when I get to the top of the ramp. This road as some major dips and the only road in my area where I get tire rub. This video was shot 7 years ago and other than a slight annoyance on rare occasions this is not an issue for me YMMV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pz11p238dc

my truck seems to sit a bit lower than yours I wonder how much that would affect the rubbing

Closest pic I could find in comparison to yours. This is an update pic from the body shop the other day pretty much done…If I don’t put bump stops I may go with 275/40/20 and see if that helps or just keep it like this and live with a little rubbing
Old 11-13-2022, 07:13 PM
100% Redneck

That is an old pic when I had the little V6 engine. The added weight with the heavier LQ9 sits pretty close to your photo. Yeah drive and enjoy if it becomes an annoyance worry about it then. My guess is you'll be just fine. BTW looks like they did a awesome job shooting your truck, love the color!

(RedXray retired paint/bodyman guy).

Front Bump Stops on 4/6 drop ? 03 Sierra-bqp5iod.jpg

Quick Reply: Front Bump Stops on 4/6 drop ? 03 Sierra