Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

flip installed but has issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ecir45
Gap between leafs is excessive, something isn't right there.
not sure what to do to tighten them up? only have the factory spacer in between the leafs? I did open the bolt that hold them together to install a new set in the right position but they was clamped together when I did, you think it might be the leafs slapping each other when the axle wraps?

I have other video's and watched for any thing moving axle is not twisting on the saddles there tight, I do not see the extanders moving but will put some tack weld to make sure they dont, I dont see any of the brake lines or any thing making contact?

I'm going to be checking the pinion angle today i'll be using a digital angle finder can i just zero it out on the frame? does it matter what the angle finder shows or just knowing the difference in the angles is what i'm after?

not sure if this means any thing but the lower plates for the kit had two holes to line up the axle position (1 centered and the other about an inch off center) I was told by WC tech to use the off center hole facing the front of the truck so the axle would be moved back to keep the yoke from slamming in to the trans.....I noticed I have a "clean" spot on the yoke and its about the distance the axle has been moved back I never used a flip kit before so not sure if this is correct?

Name:  DSC08155_zpsb3b22c47.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  DSC08154_zps03a8bbff.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  DSC08153_zps03bfbae2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  61.0 KB

Last edited by stroker87; 06-17-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

One mine the middle leaf fits flush with no gap to the upper. Jack truck up and loosen u-bolt to see if they will lay back down.

Did you have to remove spring pin when installing angle shim, if so did you clamp leafs when doing so. leaf bolt pin should just hold spring together, don't over torque that bolt it may mess the pin up.

Pinion angle can be confusing. Search the subject before proceeding. Tranny comes into play. Truck doesn't need to be levels but helps for a reference. On mine the tranny is down 6 degrees and my pinion is up 4 degrees which should be close to in plane to each other when throttle is stomped. my driveshaft is at 1.5 degrees resting.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

One mine the middle leaf fits flush with no gap to the upper.
do you have a spacer in between your leafs? mine has a spacer if you look at the pic thats shows the U bolts also there is a rubber holding the leafs apart on each end where the factory clamps are so I dont think I can get it flush both side are equal as for the gap, another thing might be I removed the hitch, bumper & spare so its a little lighter in the rear maybe the springs are arched more causing more of a gap??
Old 06-17-2014, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

here mine before I did a flip kit with spring loaded and bed off. Don't think I had as much daylight as in your pic but hard to tell from my angle.
Attached Thumbnails flip installed but has issues?-20140604_115034.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

ecir45 i think its just the way mine are I used a spray grease on the clamps on each end of the leafs and had my son jump up and down in the bed and i can see the lower leaf sliding a little on the main leaf so i know there not binding or any thing I do agree it does look like a little more then your leafs mines about 4mm a part
Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Just got finished working on the truck this evening and tool a look a my springs. You can indeed see daylight through them like in your pic above. Didn't measure but 4mm looked about right sorry.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got finished working on the truck this evening and tool a look a my springs. You can indeed see daylight through them like in your pic above. Didn't measure but 4mm looked about right sorry.
nothing to worry about..... thanks for the effort, soon as i get a chance i'm going to check the angles and pull the drive shaft and check every thing
Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I checked the drive line angles with a digital angle finder that I zero'd out on the frame before I started the following:

Axle 5.8*
drive shaft 5.9*
transmission 13.5*

transmission being the highest point (drive shaft slopes down)

this is with a 6* shim installed thick side is facing the rear of the truck

Last edited by stroker87; 06-19-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Do a goggle image search for "crankshaft driveline angle" for some illustrations.

This thread has one of the better description of what you want.

pinion angle... ive read everywhere and no help - LS1TECH

I would recommend removing driveshaft for most accurate measurements so angle gauge can be put on the rear yoke and tranny tail.

Not sure if there is a standard but wish we knew what the factory crankshaft driveline angle was for our trucks. I thought mine was excessive a 6*.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do a goggle image search for "crankshaft driveline angle" for some illustrations.

This thread has one of the better description of what you want.

pinion angle... ive read everywhere and no help - LS1TECH

I would recommend removing driveshaft for most accurate measurements so angle gauge can be put on the rear yoke and tranny tail.

Not sure if there is a standard but wish we knew what the factory crankshaft driveline angle was for our trucks. I thought mine was excessive a 6*.
yeah I'm going to have to do it again for sure the digital finder has an arrow to show if its + or - and I didnt pay attention to it so i'm a little confuse on the numbers now going to do it again and might pull the DS plus I jacked it up from the center of the axle thinking it might not have been in the position it sits when its on the ground when I lowered it on the stands?

Quick Reply: flip installed but has issues?