Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

EDGE Racing converter, anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default EDGE Racing converter, anyone got one?

I just ordered "Street EDGE" converter for my 4L80e swap. CS has been top notch so far, went back and forth with me for about a dozen email and spent 20 mins on the phone discussing what would be best for my goals and intended uses for this converter. Originally I was just going to go with a high stall stock converter for the 80e cuz I didn't want to drop almost a grand on a PI or Yank. I was thinking I wanted a 25-2600 stall range with the 80e, but he felt like with how I wanted it to act with the turbo I would be better off with a 3000 stall and a tighter stater assm. Also I told him I want to still be able to tow 6-8k with this converter and he said that it shouldn't have any problem with that, as the smaller 9.5 inch converter is MUCH more efficient then higher stall big diameter converters cuz all the setting are tightened up to get lower stall, where a big converter has to have them all opened way up to get a higher stall. Makes since to me.

I also asked him about locking up the clutch at WOT in 3, and he told me he has had customers break hard parts before the clutch slipped. I was concerned with that cuz his converters are a single disk. He response was his single is a $30 high carbon disk that his 140% MORE holding capacity then the competitors 3, $4 Kevlar clutch disks. Again makes since.

So, is anyone else running an EDGE racing converter? At about $400 cheaper then the comp, I though I'd give it a try, instead of going with 35lbs heaver stock converter. He also gave me an even better deal on it since I also bought a custom put together rebuild kit and shift kit for my 4l80e
Old 12-14-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sickREDsierra ran one or is running one - with N20. I've heard good things about them, their just not the most popular. I'd like to get some feedback as well since I'm swapping to an 80e this Spring.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats me.

call Andre over there at Edge. he is a VERY knowledgable man, and will custom build you a great unit.. at a VERY reasonable price. from what i have researched, he uses the same components as PI and YANK... for less money (profit)

he is a VERY cool dude though.. search them on impalaSS forums.. there are a lot of folks that run them in the impala's.. and quite a few on tech also. i looked at them long and hard before i pulled the trigger on it..

call Andre though before you order anything.. he will ease your mind
Old 12-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
thats me.

call Andre over there at Edge. he is a VERY knowledgable man, and will custom build you a great unit.. at a VERY reasonable price. from what i have researched, he uses the same components as PI and YANK... for less money (profit)

he is a VERY cool dude though.. search them on impalaSS forums.. there are a lot of folks that run them in the impala's.. and quite a few on tech also. i looked at them long and hard before i pulled the trigger on it..

call Andre though before you order anything.. he will ease your mind
Yep I talk to him, they seem to be nice verters, esp for the money...

John
Old 12-14-2008, 03:21 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am needed a TC for my HD but I want something I can still tow with and am afraid that if I get a "2600 stall" in my truck it would be too much. Do they build your TC for you when you order it? That is the impression that I got from looking at their site. I saw that the PI converters are 9.5 in OD, how will that work for something like my truck that I would like the benefits of a small stall but want to be able to tow with 0 issues? I know a little off topic but it relates to an 80e and maybe can answer someone's questions also.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kyle,
Can you pm on the spec's of the custom rebuild kit?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skyhighsami
I am needed a TC for my HD but I want something I can still tow with and am afraid that if I get a "2600 stall" in my truck it would be too much. Do they build your TC for you when you order it? That is the impression that I got from looking at their site. I saw that the PI converters are 9.5 in OD, how will that work for something like my truck that I would like the benefits of a small stall but want to be able to tow with 0 issues? I know a little off topic but it relates to an 80e and maybe can answer someone's questions also.
He assured me my truck would have 100% good street manners and towing with this converter would not be a problem. He said it would actually run cooler then the larger one he sells since it's a much more efficient converter. He said you could deliver news paper with this converter if you wanted to,

He asked me a bunch of questions about my setup and what I wanted out of it and how I wanted it to drive and then he came up with custom specs for my converter and is custom building it just for my truck. He was a really cool guy and took plenty of time to answer all my questions and I never felt rush into buying anything. Another thing I like is he gives a 1 year warranty on the converter with a 6 week grace period. Also if I ever trash the tranny I can send him the converter and for $90 he will cut it open, clean and inspect it and install new bearings and give a new 1 year warrant with grace period on it.

As for the 4l80 rebuild kit, I'm not a 100% sure as to it's complete contents, (don't remember what he told me off the top of my head) but he told me you can not buy a more complete rebuild kit with better parts. He said he personally built a 100 of these kits a couple of years a go to sell using only the best parts from all the manufacturers. I know it has Alto Redline clutches with the extra clutches where you can use them. I will know more for sure when the stuff get here next week.

Last edited by kbracing96; 12-15-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
12 Second Club

they are very popular on impalassforum.com
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Did he say the street edge would be strong enough or did you have to go with the Pro?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LMSeven
Did he say the street edge would be strong enough or did you have to go with the Pro?
He recommended the Street Edge for me, I told him I plan on running 700+ hp though it. He said he puts the anti-ballooning plates in all his converters. Oh, and he is even making it with the longer snout and 3 mounting tabs so it will bolt right to my flex plate without any crank spacers or anything.

Last edited by kbracing96; 12-15-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: EDGE Racing converter, anyone got one?