Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Driveline angles and launch shudder.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
mine measured 5 degrees up after shackle and hanger, i did a 15 dollar procomp 6 degree shim. now im sitting at 0. i wish i went with a 8 or 9 degree but that would a giant *** shim lol.
Mines almost the same the only real difference being that I moved my carrier bearing up to get -2 degrees on the pinion.

Scooter,I would start with a -8 degree shim in the back and go from there.Its cheap and easy remember this is gonna take the truck down bout 1/2".So if your frame not notched it gonna bottom out or be close to.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Mines almost the same the only real difference being that I moved my carrier bearing up to get -2 degrees on the pinion.

Scooter,I would start with a -8 degree shim in the back and go from there.Its cheap and easy remember this is gonna take the truck down bout 1/2".So if your frame not notched it gonna bottom out or be close to.
So I need to be 2 degrees past 0? or 2 degrees past level on the pinion. Why is mine so far off? McGaughy's says you don't need them.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scooter k
So I need to be 2 degrees past 0? or 2 degrees past level on the pinion. Why is mine so far off? McGaughy's says you don't need them.
I have the mcg flip also with the 1" lift hanger for 5" total. I also put the pro-comp 6 deg. shim and it straightned up but i stil have vibes between 55-67 and right as I take off, So im gonna shim another 2 deg. I'm currently at +1 on the pinion
Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cdub81. How much more did the rear drop with that shim?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cdub81. How much more did the rear drop with that shim?
I didnt put a angle finder on it when i first dropped it. But from the looks before i shimned it and put the lift hanger on, the pinion was pointing up pretty bad just by looking with the naked eye. The drive line hit the crossmember 3-4 times during the couple weeks i drove it before the lift hanger was put on and with it pointing up so bad it made the driveline even closer to the bed/crossmember. After shim it looks dead straight with the transfer case and with my calculations im +1 positive at the pinion now the vibes have gone away from what they were but now like i previously stated it's pretty bad between 55-67 and right around 5-8 mph and ive had the tires road force balanced so i know it's not that. I never had any vibes before i took the leveling kit and 33's off so everything points back to the pinion angle still a little off!

EDIT: I was thinking about your question again. If your talking about how much lower in the rear the the truck sits it was hard to tell cause i drove with the with the flip on for a couple weeks and then i shimned it and put the lift hanger on and it still gave it about a 1" lift so if there was a differance from the shim i honestly couldnt tell.

Last edited by cdub81; 05-29-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If i could do it over again i would be probably use a belltech flip kit. Just from some research and opinions they are designed a little better as far as keeping the pinion angles in check compared to mcg... That's just my opinion though im sure others will disagree.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dont take offense to this but,regardless of what "THEY" say your suspension geometry if fukd.It needs some attention not only is it safer you will appreciate taking the time to correct it. The truck will jus plain drive better.I don't know how to explain it but,the acceleration will be more positive sorta like when you get a tune dialed in.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about getting new saddles made to correct some angle? Then fine tuning it with shims. A 1/2" shim will drop me more and I really don't need that.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Would like to hear some of the Belltech flip guys chime in. If their flip is better I will switch over to it.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about getting new saddles made to correct some angle? Then fine tuning it with shims. A 1/2" shim will drop me more and I really don't need that.
You can always just cut the saddles from the axle and move them and re-weld them lol im almost to that point myself

Quick Reply: Driveline angles and launch shudder.