Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Ditched the Torsion Bars for Coilovers on the HD

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dave84
This is an ideal situation for the lowered 4x4 guys. Has anybody come up with a spring to work with a qa1 shock? Ive been looking around since I stumbled upon this thread but I find more to go up. Julien have you found anything yet to share? I remember seeing your silverado in Truckin' Mag, can we say what a beast haha.
Originally Posted by black04
QA1 have short springs to work with their shocks. I believe you can get a 7" spring for a lowered truck. I had the part numbers all looked up and ready to go about a year ago but havent bit the bullet yet.

I'd think you'd have to run those lower shock spacers similar to the Brenthel kit just to raise the shock body up to clear the coil OD from the CV shaft... which in my head, I was thinking you'd have to then raise the upper coil "pocket" on the frame to match that spacer length on the bottom... which may also entail an aftermarket/custom UCA (again, similar to the Brenthel Chase...) to clear the larger OD of the raised up coil-over.
...was just my thoughts on it all anyway, as far as C/O on a lowered 4X4 goes.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shred i was thinking the same, but we are talking about 4wd silverados that do not have coil pockets. Julien you're running with a 2wd silverado but our shock hookups are the same. the HDs are different up front, so lets look at the regular 1500 trucks. on the regular 1500, on the shock you have the pin hole with two bolts to connect to the upper shock mount. could you run a coilover inleu of the regular shock just to help dampen the annoying rattle, even if you had to leave the torsion bars?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ShredSled
I'd think you'd have to run those lower shock spacers similar to the Brenthel kit just to raise the shock body up to clear the coil OD from the CV shaft... which in my head, I was thinking you'd have to then raise the upper coil "pocket" on the frame to match that spacer length on the bottom... which may also entail an aftermarket/custom UCA (again, similar to the Brenthel Chase...) to clear the larger OD of the raised up coil-over.
...was just my thoughts on it all anyway, as far as C/O on a lowered 4X4 goes.
IIRC when I looked into it, I measured from my shock to the cv axle and it would clear a 2.5" coil over spring. Part of the bumpstop mount may need to be trimmed tho. Its pretty much a simple swap with the djm lower control arms other than possibly reinforcing the mounts.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 AM
Teching In

I crawled under my silverado this morning with the images of the finished product on page two and I think I was wrong the shock mounts are the same between the hds and regular 1500. I'm Yunnan call qa1 and see if I can get some part numbers to work with the pro comp shock adapter listed on page 1.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Qa1tech said for a nbs 1500 lowered 2" up front to run the ds302 or ds304 single adjustable shock. The ds304 has more length by about 1"-2". They obviously could not confirm removing the T-bars but guaranty better handling and way less bounce and rattle. The ds304 accepts 7" to 9" springs which qa1 does not have for front of trucks in the 850 lb rate class. Springs are next to find.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dave84
I crawled under my silverado this morning with the images of the finished product on page two and I think I was wrong the shock mounts are the same between the hds and regular 1500. I'm Yunnan call qa1 and see if I can get some part numbers to work with the pro comp shock adapter listed on page 1.
The shock mounts are different hd's to regular 1500s on stock control arms. The hds use just a regular eyelet at the bottom and the 1500s have a u shaped mount. For a stock 1500 control arm you would need to do an adapter like the brenthal kit.

The coilover I was looking at was ds301. Same length as the ds302 except with bearing bushings instead of poly. Check the hypercoil springs for higher spring ratings hprworld.com
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black04
The coilover I was looking at was ds301. Same length as the ds302 except with bearing bushings instead of poly. Check the hypercoil springs for higher spring ratings hprworld.com
they are different, ok. i was doing a small kindle screen to truck comparison.
Is the ds301 the one you are looking at now with your drop? the 304 may be better for a 2/4 drop.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

Hyperco has the largest and best spring size and rate selection. You will need to go with ATLEAST a 800lb rate.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

BTW...I have almost 10K on these and no issue's. Still rides great and handles great.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Come on guys make this 4x4 happen. Although I have a torsion bar lift via the key ways, I wonder if that will be lost?

Quick Reply: Ditched the Torsion Bars for Coilovers on the HD