Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Did My 05 Drum Brakes at 65,535 miles. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Did My 05 Drum Brakes at 65,535 miles. Pics

Took a look several days ago and ordered parts. I caught them just in time. The passenger side leading shoe was super thin. The rest were not too far behind.
I purchased the OE shoes from Amazon. If you go to the dealership parts counter there is one p/n and three options. The claimed OE as delivered, the Drua ACDelco's and ACDelco re-mans. The OE's are high dollar and the friction material is lighter in color and the shoes are marked TABCO CANADA. The others are darker and vary from Mexico to China. I found a set on Amazon claimed to be the OE bearing TABCO CANADA for a C-note.
I replaced the drums with Raybestos Advanced Technology premiums. The OE's will be turned if I ever need them again. I painted the new drums with silver caliper paint.

The single spring design was new to me and the learning curve kicked my rear-end.
I used the Lisle T-handle tool and if I had it to do again I may have opted for the other option that is a cross bracket. A good pair of Vise Grips can take the place the T-handle but the cross bracket will hold the spring for you until you are done. Shoulda done that.. its best the way to go, trust me.
Tips:
Disconnect the parking brake cables at the splitter and pull them as far out at the shoes as you can. This gives you more room to work. The cable pulls right out of the spring retainer easy enough.
Upon re-assembly put a small vice-grip on the cable just tight enough to keeping it from moving back in. You will need a sturdy pin or screwdriver to pull the tip into the new shoes at the retainer. No biggie.

!! Make sure the single spring is installed in its mounting point at the bottom (not in the shoe holes) before you mount the new shoes. You will have to slip them behind it at the bottom. Make sure the parking brake cable spring is under or behind the single spring. Don't think you can mount the shoes and then the single spring!!

Get the shoes on as best as you can and reinstall the auto adjuster system, its spring helps you keep the shoes on the plate and into the wheel cylinder notches while you put the single spring back into its holes. Then open and close the bleeder real quick to let the cylinder retract. This gets the shoes as close as possible for putting the single spring into the shoe holes.
Center up the shoes as best as you can and put the single spring into its holes.
The rest is like any drum system, put the drum on and adjust them out and apply the brake to center and repeat.
The auto adjuster should be cleaned really good and the threads left dry so it will operate with ease. I found it dry. It did its job well. Lots of folks will lube the threads and the lube will solidify in time and the threads will not turn easy enough. This makes for a low pedal after time just to name one.

I learned the above the hard way and the next time many years from now it will be an easier job.

The System

The New Shoes

The Wear

Finished

Last edited by 03sierraslt; 01-01-2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: fixed title
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

65.5 million miles is a lot for an 05. It is a lot of of miles for any year vehicle as a matter of fact.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkster
65.5 million miles is a lot for an 05. It is a lot of of miles for any year vehicle as a matter of fact.
Haha, this is true. Allot of miles there.

OP, looks like you caught them just in time. Thats cool they lasted that long.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heh! Fixed that.

Thanks, They work really well. I like how the truck stops and can feel them when they kick in.

I did the initial run today and could feel a wee bit of chattering in pedal. I held the brake release and applied them a few times as to bed or burnish them and they smoothed out, and after cooling them down she stopping like her old self.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Haha, this is true. Allot of miles there.

OP, looks like you caught them just in time. Thats cool they lasted that long.
Yeh, I talked to a shop that sees them come in at an average of 55k.

I remember seeing the older trucks like my 97 with 95k on it and it looking like glazed new shoes.

The have these things proportioned pretty good.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 96,000 on my original rear brakes. Probably should look at them soon lol.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by therock
Heh! Fixed that.

Thanks, They work really well. I like how the truck stops and can feel them when they kick in.

I did the initial run today and could feel a wee bit of chattering in pedal. I held the brake release and applied them a few times as to bed or burnish them and they smoothed out, and after cooling them down she stopping like her old self.
I fixed the actual thread title for you.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats because there made in Canada