Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

could a well known tranny co. be selling junk??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoma43
I dont see FLT selling stock transmissions with a shift kit though, they seem to be a little more customer oriented than that, and have a good name. Anymore though I guess you just dont know who you can trust.
I also don't believe FLT would do anything like this, they help out on the boards A LOT and have plenty of happy customers.

As well as nlawson6.0, he posts quite a bit and seems to be a decent guy. He has lots of good trader feedback (20 out of 21 good transactions).

How qualified is this tranny builder you took it to? Are you sure he's not trying to sell you on a whole new tranny by saying it had a bunch of stock stuff in it? Both of the parties you mentioned who were involved with it are trustworthy in my mind, but nobody here but you knows the tranny guy who took it apart. Any pictures or any evidence?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chevy scott i agree if someone is purposly ripping people off then is should come out for all to know. however, im in NO position to be pointing the finger at anyone at this time. my dumb *** should have changed the sig also. if i get a few replies that say OK trans co. XXX sells as advertised then it may be the seller on the other hand if i get a few replies that say yeah they sell junk then it may be the manuf.

silver mod o thanks for your reply.

also id like to add that my tranny builder gave me a list of trans co. that he said sell nothing but junk. if anyone is planning on buying a tranny anytime soon shoot me a pm and ill send you a copy of the list. it seems most of them are out of the summit and jegs catalogs.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Wearin' da big hat

I understand where you're coming from bulldog, nobody here is jumping on you for throwing people under the bus or anything like that. I posted it because this obviously needs to be brought to the attention of both nlawson6.0 and FLT because their product name/reputation is on the line. If you hadn't posted any information about who it was, it probably would've been bumped back a few pages with no interest until someone else posted it instead of me.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

id like to add that the reason i went with the trans co. i did is because of all the great things that were posted by them. they have a great rep. Also i did some research on the seller before i bought from him and found him to be a trustworthy person(or as best i could tell from not even knowing the guy). so all that being said is why i didnt come out and start calling people crooks.

and to address my tranny builder. his name is known all around this town and you wont find a person who will speak badly of him. he stands behind his work. i know this guy personally for more years than id like to say and i can promise you if anyone out of this whole deal is honest its him.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Well the issue still stands, the tranny you bought was broken (whether it was before or after it became in your possession is going very hard to prove). Also, the parts that were pulled out of your tranny were supposedly built parts, which turns out might not be. Something fishy happend somewhere.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is ****** pointless. You obviously started this thread to bash flt or whoever it might be. You can't buy a used trans and get but hurt when it doesn't work out.

I have personaly been through 3 or 4 of their units, and they all were done right.

I think your builder or original seller is screwing you. And besides if this builder is so bad ***, why didn't you buy one from him?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:20 PM
SPAM HUNTER

But this is also why i bought all the parts i wanted upgraded in the 80e i have, i did the research, bought what i wanted, and told the builder, let me know if any hard parts look tore up.

1 saved money (amazing how making a phone call to the company direct can get you a deal on parts)

2 i know what i have

Small pointless rant over.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"could a well known tranny co. be selling junk?? "

I thought this thread was about TCI LOL
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The builder could have easily pulled out all the good parts and stuck em in the back room. They have all kinds of used trans parts and just put some of what they had on the table and called you up. Like it was stated before only you know the builder. He might be someone you trust completely but I've seen this type of thing happen personally.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy used transmissions, torque converters or cams. You never know.

Quick Reply: could a well known tranny co. be selling junk??