Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Clunking from down under

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking from down under

When i go over speed bumps and hit holes i hear a clunking sound. Also, when i change gears or mash on the petal it sounds like the ujoints. I was told that if you hold you driveshaft and your tailshaft and try to spin in opposite directions. If it doesnt move then ujoints are fine. If they have play in them then they are bad. Has anyone else heard of this? Also, i checked my ujoints in that way and they seem fine. Ony thing i can see is where the driveshaft sits in the tailshaft of the tranny, it has some play in it. Is that normal?

thanks
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

Default clunk

not trying to hijack the thread, but I've got the same problem. I had 3 other like vehicles in my driveway this weekend and none of them had any driveshaft slop/movement at all, but mine will move 1/2 to 1" when I grab and rotate it while in park. I'm sick of it.

I fixed the squawk by pulling the shaft and lubing the yoke. Although it didn't last long, I can re-grease that. But this clunking and drive shaft slop is killing me. Especially when this thing has been driven by a slow moving wife for its entire 50k miles!! I'd understand if it were a tow pig!

I called GM directly and they take no ownership of the problem at all. They took my VIN number and everything and say there's nothing for my 03 Yukon XL. Isn't there a drivetrain warranty that outlast the standard warranty?

Somebody has to know this. I'd buy a whole freakin' new driveshaft if I thought that would end the bumping/clunking/slop.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Anyone have any info on this?
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 AM
10 Second Club

These guys on here are so tired of hearing this stuff -since 1999 at least!!! Mine is at the dealership today for a full exam and I did tell them about all this. I will report back.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Launching!

same problem here on my 03 ECSB
Old 08-29-2006, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

Same problem here on my '06 Vmax, 3,000 miles. I think that the locker clunks, but I also think that is normal. Any of you have lockers?

Mike
Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Truck addict

same problem here. i'm searching for possible causes. haven't checked the driveshaft but i will start there for sure. i thought it was my traction bars at first but there snug.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by alan2000T/A
These guys on here are so tired of hearing this stuff -since 1999 at least!!! Mine is at the dealership today for a full exam and I did tell them about all this. I will report back.
I am not sure what you are saying? People here dont want to help anyone with a truck older than 1999? Mine is a late 99-early 2000. Does that help? No, i dont really think it matters but if it does, feel free to give some info
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jerm83
I am not sure what you are saying? People here dont want to help anyone with a truck older than 1999? Mine is a late 99-early 2000. Does that help? No, i dont really think it matters but if it does, feel free to give some info

What I'm saying is (despite the dealership not taking ownership) is that if you do a search, everybody and their brother is having this problem. It's been talked about on since the 1999 model came out.

I picked mine up yesterday and low-and-behold its a miracle....a clean bill of health. There's nothing at all wrong with my 03 Yukon XL. That amount of clunk is normal and that amount of drive shaft slop is also normal. I love GM, but will say that my other SUV is a ford and it has more than double the mileage and makes no noise. OH well, I'll just try another trick or two learned on here and quit worrying about it.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dealer told my friend that it was driveline lash causing the clunking when trans. shifts. They also said it was normal and would'nt do anything about it.
His truck is still under warranty and he's tired of the clunking. He told the dealer that he thought it was poor quality control and that GM should do what ever it takes to fix it. Again they said it was normal and refused to do anything. He now plans on selling his truck to buy a Toyota or Nisson P/U.
Another lost GM customer...will they ever learn.

Quick Reply: Clunking from down under