Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Changing ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing ball joints

Does this require a coil spring compressor? I can't find my manual right now, and I'm gathering parts to do this soon. Sorry for the noob question, and the search function on here is horrible.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
Does this require a coil spring compressor? I can't find my manual right now, and I'm gathering parts to do this soon. Sorry for the noob question, and the search function on here is horrible.
no it doesn't.just a ball joint press
Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM

no spring compresser needed, just a balljoint press.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

If it's the first time to change them, will I be able to get the rivets out with the lower control arm still attached to the truck?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Launching!

If it's the first time to change them, will I be able to get the rivets out with the lower control arm still attached to the truck?
yes.i cut heads off with a cut off wheel then knock them out with a air punch.i was thinking 99-up press in tho.not sure cuz i never have to change them on silverados.just steering parts mainly.replace alot off ball joints on ford and dodge's
Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

I have a 250k truck and all ball joints and tie rod ends are SHOT. The wheels look like \ / LOL.

So I just support the lower control arm and coil spring with a floor jack, correct?

I have my Hayne's manual around here somewhere...
Old 10-17-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

OMG the top one took like 5 hours because it kept trying to press in crooked, and the bottom one would not budge. Even with the weight of the whole corner of the truck and coil spring tension on it and a BFH until my ears were ringing, it would not break loose. Interesting experience...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

I found the easiest way to remove the lower ball joint is to remove the lower control arm with the spindle attached. Turn the control arm upside down so the spindle is sitting on its top. Take the sledge and go straight down on the ball joint. Comes out first or second hit every time. Assuming this is what your were trying to accomplish?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Launching!

OMG the top one took like 5 hours because it kept trying to press in crooked, and the bottom one would not budge. Even with the weight of the whole corner of the truck and coil spring tension on it and a BFH until my ears were ringing, it would not break loose. Interesting experience...
you need to heat it or cut it out.i have to do it sometimes but becareful,the ball joint will explode.the last dodge i did lower ball joints on i had to heat it alot to get it out and it exploded.sounded like a bomb went off.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I compressed the spring a little bit to release the tension from the LCA. However the spring compressor I rented sucked and it did slip off twice when I was banging on ball joint - be careful. My rivets were a real pain. Cutting the head off and air hammer didn't work. I had to basically drill each rivet about halfway down, knock the head of and then a big hammer and an old bolt knocked the rivet out. To drill it out I used cobalt bits with cutting oil.

Quick Reply: Changing ball joints