PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Drivetrain & Suspension (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/)
-   -   Changing ball joints (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/changing-ball-joints-490178/)

CashDudeHomie 10-10-2011 04:39 PM

Changing ball joints

Does this require a coil spring compressor? I can't find my manual right now, and I'm gathering parts to do this soon. Sorry for the noob question, and the search function on here is horrible.

gavin2005 10-10-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie (Post 4789897)
Does this require a coil spring compressor? I can't find my manual right now, and I'm gathering parts to do this soon. Sorry for the noob question, and the search function on here is horrible.

no it doesn't.just a ball joint press

KEN KING 10-10-2011 07:17 PM

no spring compresser needed, just a balljoint press.

CashDudeHomie 10-10-2011 09:02 PM

If it's the first time to change them, will I be able to get the rivets out with the lower control arm still attached to the truck?

gavin2005 10-10-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie (Post 4790135)
If it's the first time to change them, will I be able to get the rivets out with the lower control arm still attached to the truck?

yes.i cut heads off with a cut off wheel then knock them out with a air punch.i was thinking 99-up press in tho.not sure cuz i never have to change them on silverados.just steering parts mainly.replace alot off ball joints on ford and dodge's

CashDudeHomie 10-11-2011 03:57 PM

I have a 250k truck and all ball joints and tie rod ends are SHOT. The wheels look like \ / LOL.

So I just support the lower control arm and coil spring with a floor jack, correct?

I have my Hayne's manual around here somewhere...

CashDudeHomie 10-17-2011 01:42 AM

OMG the top one took like 5 hours because it kept trying to press in crooked, and the bottom one would not budge. Even with the weight of the whole corner of the truck and coil spring tension on it and a BFH until my ears were ringing, it would not break loose. Interesting experience...

sleek silverado 10-17-2011 10:01 PM

I found the easiest way to remove the lower ball joint is to remove the lower control arm with the spindle attached. Turn the control arm upside down so the spindle is sitting on its top. Take the sledge and go straight down on the ball joint. Comes out first or second hit every time. Assuming this is what your were trying to accomplish?

gavin2005 10-17-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie (Post 4793792)
OMG the top one took like 5 hours because it kept trying to press in crooked, and the bottom one would not budge. Even with the weight of the whole corner of the truck and coil spring tension on it and a BFH until my ears were ringing, it would not break loose. Interesting experience...

you need to heat it or cut it out.i have to do it sometimes but becareful,the ball joint will explode.the last dodge i did lower ball joints on i had to heat it alot to get it out and it exploded.sounded like a bomb went off.

Third Gear 10-21-2011 01:07 AM

I compressed the spring a little bit to release the tension from the LCA. However the spring compressor I rented sucked and it did slip off twice when I was banging on ball joint - be careful. My rivets were a real pain. Cutting the head off and air hammer didn't work. I had to basically drill each rivet about halfway down, knock the head of and then a big hammer and an old bolt knocked the rivet out. To drill it out I used cobalt bits with cutting oil.