Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Changed shift linkage cable now no dash lights.. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed shift linkage cable now no dash lights.. Please help

So I changed my shift linkage cable from under the driverside door to the trans. At first everything worked becides 1st gear. So I went to adjust the cable to make it a little shorter. In doing so my park-1st lights went off and the truck won't start. I just started messing with things and when I twisted the cable on the trans side nothing happened. I cleaned my connections. When I twisted the upper cable the lights came on for a split second but couldn't repeat that.. Any ideas? Fuses are good. Also my multiswitch is out in the steering column But that only controlsThe turning signal key charm, cruise etc right?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you replace the entire cable, from the shifter to the trans? I also don't understand what you mean by twisting the cable. You shouldn't be doing that, you could end up binding the wire inside.

I cleaned my connections.
what connections? The cable connections? What is there to clean?

Last edited by SnakeOiler; 07-03-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the back half of the cable going to the trans. And the connections i was talking about are off of the neutral safty switch. The problem ended up being something simple. Right before I took the cable off I started the truck. It started perfectly fine. Somehow my battery died in the 10 min it took to change the cable lmao it had enough power to turn my interior lights on just not my dash! Boy do I feel like a dummy!! Haha