Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Can a 2wd drive transmission be converted to 4wd?

Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the tranny shop will want to charge you a complete rebuild job that depends on where you go. I have had shops quote me between $700 (the shop I deal with) to $2300 (cost more than a new tranny), average I have been quoted is somewhere between $1200 to $1500.

Example
When you go look at tranny shops don't let the build make your descision. Lets take two shops A and B. Shop A has a brand new metal building and was not listed in the phonebook last year (a good thing to keep) and claim they have over 75 years combined experience with 30 employees. Shop A also says all of there mechanics have gone to Wyotech and UTI. While shop B has a building that looks like it will collapse anyday (paint peeling, or it looks like a mini junkyard of trannies). Shop B has been around for 30 years in the same place, same owner, and most employees are the orginal crew.

When you go looking for a shop and they are very trust worthy ask them if there shop is paid for. Back to our example you ask shop A this question, they steer you away from the question and tell you about how good they are, and the total years of experience they have. Shop B tells you their building has been paid off for about 15 years and the only bills that have are utilities and employees pay. If shop A does tell you their building is paid for, you need to ask yourself "How can they pay for a building that cost at least $60,000 in less than a year (going back to the phonebook)?" to answer this question this shop is full of , and you need to look for another shop.

I have been kicked out of 5 tranny shops, and 2 dealerships when I go look for one, since I live 10 hours from Amarillo, Texas (orginal from Amarillo). I got kick off the 2 dealer lots for because I made the sales person cry (literally). Wen I go look at a tranny shop, dealership, or anyother place I go prepared to ask questions, somewhere is between 100 to 200 questions (won't get through them all), some questions are "How is your day?", "How long have you been working here?", and more specific "Do you replace the seperator plate", or "What brand and type of clutches (or anyother parts) do you use?". I do this because I am about to drop a lot of money into this shop and I want to test there knowledge, you will be surpise how many have no idea what they do and what they use, or at least don't want you to know, oh yeah these are the shops I have been kick out of.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Teching In

in my opinion i would just use an unmarried transfer case, all you'll have to do is shorten your drive shaft and custom make a crossbrace for the t-case. the yolk of the tcase will mount to the yolk of the tranny with its own u-joint and the you'll just have to have the drive shaft shortened. probably save you some dough
Old 03-12-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James B.
Going from 2WD to 4WD is easier than going the other way. You will need an output shaft assembly. The 2WD version has a reluctor ring on the output carrier and a rear VSS that the 4WD version does not have. Leave those components in the trans but the rear VSS will not be used. (4WD versions have a plug where that VSS is)

4WD 4L80-E output shaft is 24204291, $186 list.
I may have a 2wd 4l80. Would the tailshaft be smaller? My swapout gear from speed engineering for the transfer case fits over it? I originally thought they cut the shaft wrong. Please advise.

Vlee
Old 03-12-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4WD shaft is shorter. There is also a 4WD tailshaft housing. It's short and basically has flanges on both enad like an "adapter" of sorts. I don't have a part number for that.

I don't think the splines on a 2WD shaft extend far enough to be able to chop down the shaft enough to use it for 4WD. The spline pattern and diameter for 2WD and 4WD are the same.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by James B.
The 4WD shaft is shorter. There is also a 4WD tailshaft housing. It's short and basically has flanges on both enad like an "adapter" of sorts. I don't have a part number for that.

I don't think the splines on a 2WD shaft extend far enough to be able to chop down the shaft enough to use it for 4WD. The spline pattern and diameter for 2WD and 4WD are the same.

OK the transmissoin has an adapter with flanges on both sides. If the spline pattern and diameter for both 2WD and 4WD are the same, then my speed engineering adapter is wrong. I will check with Speed eng. tomorrow.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cbrich
I know of a excellent shop in Amarillo, TX, I have used them for years for parts and transmission work.
So where is this excellent tranny shop in Amarillo? I need one bad...

Thanks

GT
Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 PM

Default Stevie b

What r the diffarnces in 04 2 wd and 2000 4 wd tranny other than the tail shaft i installed the 2 wd tranny in 2000 4 wd driveshaft and all but it wont go in reverse or drive any ideas thanks stevie b
Old 01-06-2018, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

It's way more than just the tail housing.

You have to disassemble the whole transmission and swap output shafts.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stevie62
What r the diffarnces in 04 2 wd and 2000 4 wd tranny other than the tail shaft i installed the 2 wd tranny in 2000 4 wd driveshaft and all but it wont go in reverse or drive any ideas thanks stevie b
Where are you located? I have a 4wd 80e I’d trade for your 2wd.