Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Built 60E - Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built 60E - Electrical Issue

Just had my new tranny installed on Saturday and after we got it all in there it threw 2 codes. EPC Solenoid Electrical Circuit, and 3-2 Downshift Solenoid Electrical Circuit. The core I used to have it built was from my buddy's '06 that he just pulled out a few months ago to do a 80E swap. I wouldn't think the solenoids would go bad just sitting there for a few months? I tried clearing the codes and they kept coming back. I can drive it around town by manually selecting 1, 2, and 3 but it won't downshift to first of course. It also won't lockup or shift into 4th because of the solenoid. I'm going to take it to the trans shop tomorow morning and they're going to drop the pan and check the solenoids out. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? From what I've read it seems it's in "limp mode" so they say. All my fuses are good and I triple checked the wiring harness connector. We'll see what happens in the morning I guess. I'm just itching to go WOT with this bitch haha
Old 04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its possible the wiring harness got pinched between the case and the pan when installing the pan, The solenoids would not go bad just setting and its unlikley you would have two solenoid electrical faults at one time.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its possible the wiring harness got pinched between the case and the pan when installing the pan, The solenoids would not go bad just setting and its unlikley you would have two solenoid electrical faults at one time.
Yea that's true. Is it that easy to pinch the harness between the case and the pan? I did remove the pan prior to installing the transmission to try and install the deep pan I had, but I ended up having the wrong damn trans filter so I didn't end up installing it. Also, if the harness was pinched is that something that would be fixed by correctly installing the pan or would I need to possibly repair the internal harness?

Thanks for the reply btw

Last edited by jakebdb56; 04-27-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

jsut be glad its pan work IMO
Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yea definitely. I spent a pretty penny for all the parts that went into the trans. It's not a basic rebuild. Blue Plate Special frictions, Kolene Steels, High Energy Band, Best Shell, New molded pistons, new planetary sets, BW 29 Element sprag, and just a billet converter from Yank lol
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

best 60e upgrade is an 80e lol. But I had crap luck with the 60's I tried.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
Yea that's true. Is it that easy to pinch the harness between the case and the pan? I did remove the pan prior to installing the transmission to try and install the deep pan I had, but I ended up having the wrong damn trans filter so I didn't end up installing it. Also, if the harness was pinched is that something that would be fixed by correctly installing the pan or would I need to possibly repair the internal harness?

Thanks for the reply btw
Yes it really is that easy and you will just have to look and determine that,
Frank
Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it ended up being the wiring harness connector had a few leads bent over. BUT my G80 died when they went to "test" drive it. It actually did bind up pretty good on the way to the trans shop when I took it in, but now it's dead. yay, time for a truetrac I guess
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

lol that kinda sucks. Eaton LSD FTW
Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by charcold-bowtie
lol that kinda sucks. Eaton LSD FTW
yea for real. the call basically was "hey your trans works now, but your POS G80 blew up! haha"

I'm thinkin about runnin a Eaton LSD, just gonna go over a few options before I pull the trigger.

Quick Reply: Built 60E - Electrical Issue