Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a group buy of a metal fab'd clutch pedal bracket solution?
Yes - roughly $250-$300 is fine
86.67%
Yes - but I need a less expensive price tag
13.33%
No - I have a better idea (describe below)
0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Broken clutch pedal brackets - gauging interest in metal fab'd bracket solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken clutch pedal brackets - gauging interest in metal fab'd bracket solution

So all y'all with manual trans trucks probably know the immense frustration I'm talking about. GM, in their infinite "wisdom", decided to make the clutch pedal bracket out of plastic, including that portion into which the clutch master cylinder installs. When you drive aggressively (who doesn't...); install heavier clutches through 6-speed swaps, etc; or hell even just drive around all normal like the plastic has a nasty habit of breaking on you and sending the clutch master cylinder loose into the engine bay. I don't know about y'all, but I've broken multiple brackets and have been left stranded more than a couple of times.

After failing to come up with a good solution on my own, I've reached out to a forum sponsor (Atomic Fabrication and Performance) to try and see what we could come up with for a solution to GM's abysmal design. I'm not sure if this will result in either a complete metal redesign of the bracket or a metal reinforcement of the existing plastic bracket, but I first wanted to gauge interest if there were any other folks willing to put some money down on this potential project.

In talking with Richard from Atomic, he tossed out a preliminary estimate of $250-$300 but could do a group discount if 8 or more guys threw down a deposit on them. So, here we are. I'm just gauging interest for feedback to Richard. He and I have emailed a bit back and forth, and I'll be sending him some parts soon for him to look at, but we haven't gone much further than that.

I put a poll on this thread (hopefully it showed up). Let me know your thoughts. If anybody has some awesome input to share, please feel free.

And for anyone curious what the exact issue is I'm talking about, here's some pics.

Name:  IMG_20170517_152741997.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  160.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20170517_152753511.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  165.6 KB
Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a little bump to the top for any and all who might be interested. I'll be reaching out shortly to those who respond to let them know where this project is headed. No matter the level of others' participation, I'll be moving forward to correct this on my truck. I'm packing up parts to ship out for Richard's review this week.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd love one!! Especially if it were easier to get into the current space(I'm not a small man). I had started collecting scrap aluminum to melt down to a solid bullit, then I was going to take that to a local CNC shop with the plastic counterpart and have them mill the big pieces to match. this sounds like it might be a better option.
The following users liked this post:
Fuel583 (12-11-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

How much is that plastic part at the dealer???

Happen to have a part number???
Old 06-13-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pedal | Genuine GM | 15027983 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts
Old 06-13-2017, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a manual swapped suv with the plastic pedal and would be down for a solution even though i have yet to hit this barrier.

Most ideal would be a re enforcement plate that could be riveted or bolt on to the firewall from the outside or something. If that is even doable.

Wouldn't shy away from owning a total replacement.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for linking to the part, firebladeJJ.

While obviously one could purchase a number of these for the same amount as a fabricated bracket, the peace of mind of knowing you have a bullet-proof solution is worth the cost. I've broken a few brackets in my truck and don't have the confidence of driving it very far from the house anymore. After having replaced a bracket in 95* heat and in a random parking lot, that's not something I'd like to revisit. It's not a difficult fix, but it's not terribly enjoyable either.

Richard and I have discussed quite a bit via email. Just today I have a clutch master cylinder and two clutch pedal brackets (broken and non-broken) packaged up and ready to send to him. I also have additional pictures to share of how it looks installed in the truck.

From what I understand, Richard will look at the parts and pictures and provide what he thinks is a good solution (complete refab of the bracket or just reinforcement of stock part). We have yet to discuss much beyond that, but I will certainly share more information as it is provided.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Most ideal would be a re enforcement plate that could be riveted or bolt on to the firewall from the outside or something. If that is even doable.
Thinking back to posts I have read both on this forum and others, some folks have tried transferring the load from the bracket to the firewall by doing something similar to what you have mentioned. Over time, however, the localized area of the firewall failed under the load by either warping or having the bolts pull out through the metal.

The take-home message I surmised was the metal of the firewall was too thin to support such use. Perhaps this was partly due to how those particular fixes were done. I'm not sure, but frankly I am unsure about pursuing a solution dependent on the firewall due to the anecdotal evidence provided.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

you might also send him the youtube link to of how you are supposed to replace the broken one. I dont have time to find it right now but I've watched it before and you are supposed to remove the entire dash, no thank you.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess I haven't seen that video. It's tight up underneath the dash, but I haven't had to pull the entire dash. You do have to move a couple things out of the way and twist and turn the bracket coming out and going back in, but for the most part the dash stays complete. And I don't have small hands/arms haha.