Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Blew up my truetrac

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
My honda can rev to 7k+ too and I don't change my oil every week...

I know you're doing it to protect your investment and be safe with it, but I really think you're going completely overboard with the oil changes so soon. It's not exactly going to hurt anything, but that **** must be getting expensive.
id have to agree here. if you use syn. you should have no problems. have you ever heard of blackstone labs? look em up, you can send samples of your oil to them and they will let you know how much its broken down and how much life is left in it.by doing that, i run 20k miles on an oil change (royal purple) and chage the filter half way through it
Old 11-28-2010, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by double047
Let me ask you guys this since you're all Tru-Trac owners.

Is it normal to have a little bit of whining on deceleration when you have a Tru-Trac and 4.11s?

I got mine done this weekend and I have about 800 miles on it so far, there is no noise under acceleration, but some times when I am decelerating and it down shifts through the gears there is a faint whining noise.
I've got the same setup, Tru-Trac and Yukon 4.11s and mine does the same thing. I called the installer and he said it was okay that they do that, something to do with the gear material I'm not exactly sure. I'm not too concerned about it, since axisT6 did it and I trust his recommendations
Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To those with Yukon 4.10 gears and gear noise:

If your installer says they can make that noise, it is normal..... They are full of ****! Your gearset was not installed correctly. If left this way for too long, they will not be able to be corrected. In other words, it's too late. They are likely to fail prematurely.

Yukon gears are strong AND quiet.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:04 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Looks like I'm going to need an adjustment on the back lash possibly.

Thanks guys and thanks again to the OP for posting up his issues and starting the conversation.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
To those with Yukon 4.10 gears and gear noise:

If your installer says they can make that noise, it is normal..... They are full of ****! Your gearset was not installed correctly. If left this way for too long, they will not be able to be corrected. In other words, it's too late. They are likely to fail prematurely.

Yukon gears are strong AND quiet.
>.>

Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by meangreenburban
>.>

Haha, same reaction i Had!
Old 11-29-2010, 11:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by double047
Looks like I'm going to need an adjustment on the back lash possibly.

Thanks guys and thanks again to the OP for posting up his issues and starting the conversation.
after it starts, it will usually be there forever. the noise all comes from setting them up right.

this thread is the first i've seen about tru trac failure
Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by dlt76028
after it starts, it will usually be there forever. the noise all comes from setting them up right.

this thread is the first i've seen about tru trac failure
Well, I hope not, lol...

I just had them installed on Wednesday and they are like completely quiet when the truck is accelerating, the only noise that I get is when I am decelerating and the transmission downshifts through the gears.

Weird thing is that it doesn't do it on every deceleration, but it does it on most of them. Some times when I take my foot off the gas on the highway and coast I get a little whine from the rear end also. Mostly it is happening as I am coasting up to a stop sign though.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lol I hadn't gotten to check the thread yet, I saw 27 replies and was like damn...

I just wanted to post up the results on my diff just because I hadn't heard of people ever having a problem with them on even turbo cars/trucks. Admittedly I probably should have changed the gear oil sooner. Ironically I was going to service all the fluids the weekend after the trans swap just to be sure everything was in top shape. I did have some problems with my brakes, but that's irrelevant to the ends of the axle getting chewed up by the diff.

One major thing I did notice when looking over the install info and other carrier designs. Ours uses a floating block between the axles whereas other carrier series in the TrueTrac use a bolt-in block to separate the sides. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the flaw that fucked mine up.

Since day one my axles would always have a little more play in them than my friend's trucks. Just a hair more when you would pull in the tire and push back on them. Possibly the little block should be just a little bit smaller to prevent it from coming in contact with the axles.

I used the same oil that Brian recommended which IIRC was 80w90 coastal or valvoline non-synthetic.

Don't apologize for posting here in the thread, just wanted to put the info out there. The next diff I put in there I'll probably go nuts like skeet and replace the oil every quarter. 100 bux a year in diff fluid fluid is cheaper than what I had to do.

As for engine oil, I never run the full synthetic over 3-4k miles now. I spin my stock 5.3 LM7 to 6800 regularly with no problems (big knock on wood) and I've about 109k miles on it now with 2 cam swaps. I noticed that the last oil change I did I slipped and let it go to 5k miles and the oil looked significantly crappier than at 3k miles. Some might say it's a waste of money, but so is not taking good care of it and having to throw a new motor in there. Although, I wouldn't mind "having" to put my LY6 in there that's for my S10
Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
My honda can rev to 7k+ too and I don't change my oil every week...

I know you're doing it to protect your investment and be safe with it, but I really think you're going completely overboard with the oil changes so soon. It's not exactly going to hurt anything, but that **** must be getting expensive.

yeah it does cost, but if you really think about it as many passes as i make its pretty much the same as to a daily driven car running constantly i just stay above 7000 rpms at 1320 ft at a time

Originally Posted by james8997
id have to agree here. if you use syn. you should have no problems. have you ever heard of blackstone labs? look em up, you can send samples of your oil to them and they will let you know how much its broken down and how much life is left in it.by doing that, i run 20k miles on an oil change (royal purple) and chage the filter half way through it
i use synthetic i work for shell oil lol my oil is tested at work in the labs here, and when i see breakdown reguardless of the amount or any signs of life gone, thus the reason i change it we dont only make gasoline, we are, do have the countries/world largest lube oil train, yeah youre both right in your own minds, you can drive your truck/car daily and probably barely see any harsh driving well not on a constant bases, and a 4/6 cylinder car is built for 7k rpm runs are they not? i know my stock shortblock isnt, the difference here mine sees hard WOT runs damn near every weekend, in my eyes thats a huge difference.. my truck isnt pampered when its at the track, its in the lanes more than it sits in the pits, even on the juice, this is why i take precautions of my investment..

Quick Reply: Blew up my truetrac