Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Blew up my truetrac

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
What type of gear oil were you guys using? I'm just curious, as I am now a tru-trac owner.

if not mistaken i used valvoline 80/140 which is what eaton said was fine, they made there point not you use synthetic gear oil

Originally Posted by 1slowz71
i thought the tru tracks were bullet proof i just got mine done about 800mls ago it works great but kn ow iam affraid its my 4th diff and iam not trying to spend another 1k on a re-build rear end ! so how should i maintain it ? how often due yall check them ? and change fluids?

i probably go overboard but i change my engine oil after every 3 trips to the track, reguardless of how many runs i make or miles i put on it during the week. as for the rearend i change it every 2 months or every 4 trips to the track.. it still looks new from the last change which was a couple weeks ago when the truck was down for head work
Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me ask you guys this since you're all Tru-Trac owners.

Is it normal to have a little bit of whining on deceleration when you have a Tru-Trac and 4.11s?

I got mine done this weekend and I have about 800 miles on it so far, there is no noise under acceleration, but some times when I am decelerating and it down shifts through the gears there is a faint whining noise.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by double047

Is it normal to have a little bit of whining on deceleration when you have a Tru-Trac and 4.11s?

I got mine done this weekend and I have about 800 miles on it so far, there is no noise under acceleration, but some times when I am decelerating and it down shifts through the gears there is a faint whining noise.
i speak for myself, i have had a few gear swaps done in the same truck from 3:73 - 4:88 thats 4:10s and 4:56s in between, i used richmond gears and USA gears and never had any whine or noise come from the rearend.

i feel if a gear set is setup right there shouldnt be any noise if properly done
Old 11-28-2010, 09:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by skeet
i speak for myself, i have had a few gear swaps done in the same truck from 3:73 - 4:88 thats 4:10s and 4:56s in between, i used richmond gears and USA gears and never had any whine or noise come from the rearend.

i feel if a gear set is setup right there shouldnt be any noise if properly done
Hmm, well then I will definitely have them looked at when I'm in for my converter install later this month.

The gears I had installed our Yukon 4.11s, according to Ron's Machine they are top of the line of what's available out there.

Thanks for the input and thank you to the OP for posting up this thread.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 203 Likes on 139 Posts

No synthetic gear oil, no LSD additive.

Whining is going to come from your gears. Did you install them yourself? If your backlash was too little, like 5 thousandths or less, you risk having whiny gears.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

if not mistaken i used valvoline 80/140 which is what eaton said was fine, they made there point not you use synthetic gear oil

i probably go overboard but i change my engine oil after every 3 trips to the track, reguardless of how many runs i make or miles i put on it during the week. as for the rearend i change it every 2 months or every 4 trips to the track.. it still looks new from the last change which was a couple weeks ago when the truck was down for head work
Holy **** you waste a ton of oil
Old 11-28-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Holy **** you waste a ton of oil
lol maybe so, it could be prolonging the life of the motor, motor oil breaks down under heavy acellerations the more constant or basically the harder you run and how often, the more it breaks down im not a 2 lap runner , i run my truck at lease 8 times 8-12 times a night at the track, with very little cool down time, running over 7k rpms trapping 7200 and seeing 7300-7500 during shifts i would say its a good idea to keep fresh motor oil in the engine

so it really a waste?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just looked at Eaton's website and FAQ's. According to the quote below, might be a "normal failure." lol

Can I repair the Truetrac if I need to?
The worm gears inside a Trutrac are maintenance free, and do not require regular service. Internal failure usually results in the damage of the worm gear pockets. Therefore, they are not rebuildable.

I recommend GL-5 rated 80-90 gear oil over the 80-140.

http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc.../FAQ/index.htm
Old 11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Hmm, well then I will definitely have them looked at when I'm in for my converter install later this month.

The gears I had installed our Yukon 4.11s, according to Ron's Machine they are top of the line of what's available out there.

Thanks for the input and thank you to the OP for posting up this thread.
Yeah you shouldn't be hearing any noise from that rear end. The Yukons should be an AAM gear and backlash is 0.003"~0.006". I just did mine, same ratio and trutrac just a couple of months ago. I set them up myself and set B/L at 0.004". They are as quiet as stock 3.42 were.

OP not trying to jack your thread but looks like what ever you find out could benefit the rest of us here.

I'm glad you posted your stuff too David.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

lol maybe so, it could be prolonging the life of the motor, motor oil breaks down under heavy acellerations the more constant or basically the harder you run and how often, the more it breaks down im not a 2 lap runner , i run my truck at lease 8 times 8-12 times a night at the track, with very little cool down time, running over 7k rpms trapping 7200 and seeing 7300-7500 during shifts i would say its a good idea to keep fresh motor oil in the engine

so it really a waste?
My honda can rev to 7k+ too and I don't change my oil every week...

I know you're doing it to protect your investment and be safe with it, but I really think you're going completely overboard with the oil changes so soon. It's not exactly going to hurt anything, but that **** must be getting expensive.

Quick Reply: Blew up my truetrac