Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Best 2/4 drop kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 2/4 drop kit

I'm considering a 2/4 drop kit for my 2004 RCSB Silverado. I've heard some people like the Hotchkis TVS kit while others prefer the Mc Gaughys, DJM, etc. Which kit would you all recommend? Also, will a 2/4 kit reduce my truck's payload rating and tow rating? Even though I never plan on using my truck for heavy duty work, I don't want to lose alot of payload. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hotchkis is good, and mcgaughys is good also. Hothkis will handle a little better, and you can use stock wheels with it. If you get spindles from mcgaughys then you will need 17s or bigger for them to work. Eithe way you go, you will be happy. As for payload, i dont think you will lose to much. You should be able to load the bed, or tow a light trailer no prob. You might have trouble hauling a boat or another car or something to that nature.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackLM7
I'm considering a 2/4 drop kit for my 2004 RCSB Silverado. I've heard some people like the Hotchkis TVS kit while others prefer the Mc Gaughys, DJM, etc. Which kit would you all recommend? Also, will a 2/4 kit reduce my truck's payload rating and tow rating? Even though I never plan on using my truck for heavy duty work, I don't want to lose alot of payload. Any info would be appreciated.
Depends on how you want it to ride/handle. The TVS will be the best setup for handling. It will ride fairly rough but hang corners pretty well. McG's will probably give you the best ride quality due to the fact that the stock coils are used. Same on the rear. Yes a 2/4 will reduce how much you can tow/haul as you are putting the rear axle closer to the frame and bumpstops. If towing is what you will be doing with a dropped truck, you may need to look into notchng the frame in the rear. I cant say which is best because every kit will be best for somebody in some aspect. Im gonna go for a complete Ground Force kit because I dont want my truck to ride like ***, I dont need the ability to take a corner at 90MPH and not have any body roll and I can get the kit pretty reasonably priced at work.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackLM7

Do a search on this and you will find more info than you want to know about which kit everyone likes.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm happy with the hotchkis kit. i've put my 400ex in the back of the truck several times and have pulled some small trailers with no problems. the ride is stiff but not too rough