Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

the beast my arse

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 03:25 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the beast my ****

this is what GM calls the beast. suppose to be the strongest version of planetry gears for the 4l60e

look closely youll see the cracks and its stripped the spline out.

this is what went on my truck. i guess thats why they call my cam the torquer lol
Attached Thumbnails the beast my arse-may17_001.jpg   the beast my arse-may17_002.jpg   the beast my arse-may17_003.jpg  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks...you must have thrown a LOT of twist at that. Ithought the Beast was the sunshell, not the planetary set
Old 05-18-2006, 09:48 AM
5 year bitches!

from what i gatherd that was it, could be wrong i read it on the net and in GM high tech performance
Old 05-18-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

What a POS! The 4L60e should have never happend. That 700r4 design should have been scrapped years ago. It was designed for 180 hp 305's to get good mileage and a low first gear to make up for their lack of power. Two words, Torque Management. It would have never been invented or needed if they would have scrapped the inferrior design back in the early 90's.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Old 05-18-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CoonToot
That sucks...you must have thrown a LOT of twist at that. Ithought the Beast was the sunshell, not the planetary set
The 'beast' is the upgraded sunshell.

Any of the 5-pinion planetaries are just plain ol' 4L65 planetaries. Although i am scared about the amount of torque needed to crack their casings in half....
Old 05-18-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RoninsDenali
The 'beast' is the upgraded sunshell.

Any of the 5-pinion planetaries are just plain ol' 4L65 planetaries. Although i am scared about the amount of torque needed to crack their casings in half....
Thanks for the confirmation on the sunshell.

I also have been told that there are GM planetaries, which are supposed to be the strongest available, and then there are aftermarket planetaries which are known for not holding up under high power cicumstances. Could it be the tranny builder used the aftermarket one and that's why we are seeing a failure? The price for the parts and labor sure seem to point that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe I'm not. Just a thought.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by mjhoward
What a POS! The 4L60e should have never happend. That 700r4 design should have been scrapped years ago. It was designed for 180 hp 305's to get good mileage and a low first gear to make up for their lack of power. Two words, Torque Management. It would have never been invented or needed if they would have scrapped the inferrior design back in the early 90's.
yea in my situation i dont have torque management anymore.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque management is for sissies
Old 05-18-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CoonToot
Thanks for the confirmation on the sunshell.

I also have been told that there are GM planetaries, which are supposed to be the strongest available, and then there are aftermarket planetaries which are known for not holding up under high power cicumstances. Could it be the tranny builder used the aftermarket one and that's why we are seeing a failure? The price for the parts and labor sure seem to point that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe I'm not. Just a thought.

Its quite possible, as i've heard that the GM Planetaries are somewhat expensive. But are made from a lot better material than their aftermarket planetaries. Heck, mine are out of my tranny as we speak, and even after 83,000 miles they still meet the original specs, as well as the machining lines are still quite visable.

Quick Reply: the beast my arse