Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Auxilary trans cooler fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxilary trans cooler fittings?

Does anybody know what the fittings are for the auxilary cooler for those that have the towing package? I'd like to know before I start ripping stuff apart.

I have a nice big B&M I want to swap out with my converter and shift kit install. It has female 1/2 npt ports and would like to adapt them for a true bolt on install to the factory lines.

I also thought of running it in series too bud I'm only running a TB I6 converter so cooling should suffice and really want to avoid splicing the lines if possible.

Also, anyone know how much fluid I'll need for that converter and dropping the pan? I am gonna run the Mobil Super Dex IV in it since its a 06 and from what I have read is good stuff and should be used on the 06+. I can only find 11 quarts thus far though!

Thanks guys!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

the fittings in the trans cooler that is stock are #6 o-ring boss fittings and the other end of the fitting that connects to the steel hard line is called a snap to connect fitting i was told the names of the fittings by a rep at a local hydraulic supply house. if your b&m has 1/2 npt im sure there is a fitting that you can get to go from the stap to connect to 1/2 npt or you might have to go from #6 female o-ring boss to 1/2 npt and use the factory snap to connect fitting out of the cooler. if you need i can add pics.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
the fittings in the trans cooler that is stock are #6 o-ring boss fittings and the other end of the fitting that connects to the steel hard line is called a snap to connect fitting i was told the names of the fittings by a rep at a local hydraulic supply house. if your b&m has 1/2 npt im sure there is a fitting that you can get to go from the stap to connect to 1/2 npt or you might have to go from #6 female o-ring boss to 1/2 npt and use the factory snap to connect fitting out of the cooler. if you need i can add pics.
Thanks allot, I appreciate your help. This sounds like it might be tough to hunt down these fittings. I might just have to cut them damn factory lines dammit.

If you do have pics handy that would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

Old 12-12-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

http://hydraulicfittingsonline.store...piptofemo.html
im pretty sure one of these is your ticket, im thinking part number 31-8-6, but not 100 %

or these, the fourth one down would work with a 1/2 to 3/8 npt reducer
http://www.fmsiinc.com/transmission-oil.htm

Last edited by 006rcsb; 12-12-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks allot man, only if I could get this kind of info and help with everything! You're the best.

On the first one, I don't think it would work though since there isn't that part of the fitting where the snap ring go's in like the stock fitting.

I think the second one would fit though, I would just need to get that reducer as mentioned which shouldn't be a problem.

I really appreciate it, now to be able to find these ASAP
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I cover how I got around the aftermarket cooler install in one of my threads. Start about here... might help.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...&postcount=132
Old 12-13-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I cover how I got around the aftermarket cooler install in one of my threads. Start about here... might help.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...&postcount=132
Thanks for the help man but it only showed one post, so it makes it a bit hard to understand.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Websy21
Thanks for the help man but it only showed one post, so it makes it a bit hard to understand.
Sorry bud... yep does make it hard. Try this, starts this page and finally get it installed couple more pages through.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...424904&page=14
Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KySilverado
Sorry bud... yep does make it hard. Try this, starts this page and finally get it installed couple more pages through.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...424904&page=14
Thats ok, thanks for the info though. I'll consider that alternative. We use compression fittings everywhere at work at a large oil upgrading facility. I also used them on my power steeting line on my F-body when my downpipe ruptured the rubber hose. So ya, those compression fittings work great. Might have to see if I can get my hands on the barbed ones though and might consider it. Would be easy to go back to stock by swapping out the compression fitting.

Thanks again guys but not sure which way I am gonna go yet. I think I am going to install a trans gauge and keep an eye on the temps running the factory cooler. I am only gonna be installing the TB I6 converter so not too agressive. Plus I live in Canada where the temps are only outrageous in the negative! -45C with the wind right now

Quick Reply: Auxilary trans cooler fittings?