Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

another 4l60E/transgo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another 4l60E/transgo question

Ok I am officially scared. It seems like everyday someone else in here posts a "I smoked my 60E" thread. I want to hear some positive feedback on some reliability issues. I have a slightly modded 5.3, that I am wanting a little more performance out of. I am planning on getting rid of my hyperjunk and getting a Nelson tune with most or all TQ Mgmt removed. I am planning on putting in a Transgo shift kit, standard not HD, with stock servos, nothing too radical, and a trans cooler. The trans has 65k on it. I am only putting the shift kit and cooler on in an attempt to handle the loss of Tq Mgmt. I took the truck to the Trans shop and the guy advised against putting the shift kit in. He said it would kill the trans. I told him I had done the research and everyone here and on the other sites recommended this kit to improve reliablity. He said he would put it in but advised against it. After listening to him, and reading how everyone in here has destroyed one or more 60's, I am starting to wonder if this is the right thing to do or not. My truck is not heavily modded, but just like everone else, I will always want more power. My main question is, if I do this am I going to smoke my transmission? What do you guys think. Is there anyone who has not wasted a 60???
Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, that's an interesting question.

Like you, I've talked with a few people who have had some interesting things to say. For example, one guy in Pomona, who is known for building killer trannies for the performance community, says that shift kits are junk. Of course, he has his own special "magic secret" that takes a couple of hours to install, would cost me $300, and ensure the life of my tranny. Kind of makes you wonder, huh?

But, like you, I've also talked with some other guys who have said that shift kits would actually hasten the demise of my transmission - that they are actually bad for them. And not all of these guys are nuts, either. Some own tranny shops. So it is confusing to say the least. So what is the issue?

All I can come up with is that transmissions are so complex that I don't know what the hell goes on in there. Therefore, anyone that works on a transmission is a magician as far as I'm concerned. Anything else and I could figure it out. I probably know more about pinion angles that 95% of the shops out there now, because I had to research it, and the knowledge was out there.

But the information is not out there to say exactly how a shift kit affects a transmission. And even if it was, I'm not sure I would understand it. So it stays magic to me.

All I do know is that I had a Radix on my truck for about 25,000 miles with the stock 4L60E and I just took it out two weeks ago. It was running fine when I took it out, it is still a good transmission. I didn't beat on it, I babied it most of the time, but I did get on it every once in a while. I just wanted a little more insurance again breakage, so I got a 4L65E and plan on plumbing a tranny cooler into it, and also installing a shift kit and servos.

As soon as I can find someone who says they're not junk, that is.....
Old 03-21-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

well one thing todo man is get the transgo separater plate, and the pinless pistons, the factory stuff is crap, the check ***** break threw the separater plate and then the factory pistons are plastic and crack, why gm puts cheap **** in there who knows
Old 03-21-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe you either get a good one or you get a bad one. My first tranny went out at 40,000 with a bone stock truck. Put a serta 60e and started modding. I just replaced it after ~71,000 mi and ~500 drag strip passes. A lot of people have trouble with their trannies on stock motors. It could have something to do with driving habits. My advice is if you want to go fast be prepared for anything. Tranny, rear end, engine, etc... It could all go at anytime.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:45 AM
Launching!

The reason I am considering the transgo and cooler is reliability, I dont drag my truck on a regular basis, I just play around on the street and I want it to shift a little better and be able to handle a Nelson tune with Tq Mgmt removed. Does anyone have a similar set up, that has not blown their tranny.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Come on guys surely someone has something good to say, I just do not want to put the transgo, and Nelson tune on then have the tranny go. I need some help,is this going to blow the tranny? Whats up lets hear some input.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here is what it seems like to me from personal experience...the tranny shops who dont know what torque management is tell you that the kit will kill the tranny within the next 20k miles. people who know about tq mgmt seem to tell the exact opposite and that it will last longer as long as you adjust the tq mgmt. i dont know crap about trannies. these are just personal experiences.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 00stepsyde
Come on guys surely someone has something good to say, I just do not want to put the transgo, and Nelson tune on then have the tranny go. I need some help,is this going to blow the tranny? Whats up lets hear some input.
No one is going to want to touch this question with a 10' pole. There are just too many variables involved. Your starting out with a used tranny that is in unknown condition, your driving habits are different from someone like Naked AV, your mods also differ.

The theory involved in the vette servos, OD servo's and a shift kit make sense. Less slippage, better fluid circulation = extended tranny life, and more importantly to us, performance increases. However, there are some that had the exact opposite. Transgo installed, tranny goes boom. Who's to say it was the shift kit, the installer, or the tranny's health?

Do your research, and make a judgement call. Remember you have to "pay to play." So if you are going to mod your vehicle or anything, understand that if things break, it's ultimately your fault.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the input unredeemed. The tranny has 65k on it, it is the original tranny in the truck, I have changed the fluid and the tranny is in good shape right now, It shifts like a normal stock truck, except for adjusting shift firmness with Hypertech (increased line press) I want to get rid of the Hypertech, but not at the cost of the tranny. I know it is not going to last forever either way, but I just dont want to put in shift kit and Nelson tune then lose the tranny in say 5k. How long have some of your transmissions lasted after shift kit, Nelson. Maybe that will help me. I know it is inevitable that the 60 will go, but I just cant afford to lose it in the next 5k or so. In 20k I could deal with it.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

my take on the transgo is good if you dont get out of control
with the drill and washers
transmissions dont like heat
especially the stock POS clutches and bands,

but make it shift too hard with the transgo and it will break

put 0tm and some power to it without and it will burn up

the transgo can make it break
but properly setup its more helpful than harmful

Quick Reply: another 4l60E/transgo question