Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

AFter 4 months the 4L80e swap starts tomorrow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
fYI, if Vince or Gil give you guys advice on your tranny threads you would be wise to listen to them. They have a ton of experience and are 2 of the few members that share their knowledge with us average DIYers.

Yep and the reason i have it that way is because Vince took the time to help me with my build. Without his help the tranny would still be in pieces. Once again thanks Vince, i could not have made it this far without your help!.
No worries Corey I was happy to help.

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Pictures will be posted and if you ladies are lucky may even a speedo vid of the tranny and TC putting in work!!!!

Yep i was not knocking the 80 segment. Mainly just want to try something different. I have all the extra parts necessary to use the 80 segment if i dont like the relay mod. Also when and if i am sucessful i will do a write on the wiring and specific tune adjustments need to run the 60 segment with the 80.
You know maybe when you do a write up and we can make a sticky out of it. It would be nice to do a side by side comparison in the same truck of both methods and your opinions on both. This way members will have the info to do either of the wiring and tuning conversions. What do you think?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Alot of good info here, Hope the swap is going good!!
Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince B
No worries Corey I was happy to help.

You know maybe when you do a write up and we can make a sticky out of it. It would be nice to do a side by side comparison in the same truck of both methods and your opinions on both. This way members will have the info to do either of the wiring and tuning conversions. What do you think?
Good idea. We can conbine it with the other 80swap sticky.
Hopefully i should have something typed up by the end of the weekend.
Originally Posted by 01silvy
Alot of good info here, Hope the swap is going good!!
Swap is going good. Old tranny is out, new flexplate is bolted up, and the new TC is being filled as i type. But i had to cut it short because i need to take the wife to the airport.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet almost there! Bet your pissed you had to stop LOL

Most know Corey but you should tell us or have Vince chime in on usually how much fluid should be put in the converter and how to seat it properly, im sure this info will help memebers out who havent done this before
Old 03-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Info I posted a while back on TC installations can be found here. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ations-406113/
Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Resident Retard

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Sweet almost there! Bet your pissed you had to stop LOL
A little but the wife came home from work with her boots on soooooooooo

Originally Posted by Vince B
Info I posted a while back on TC installations can be found here. https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ations-406113/
Interesting, that banned guy seemed pretty smart!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

So whats the big difference about this "mod" your doing and a segment swap? Do you still get all the benefits of the 80e's smooth shifting, but you also get the tq converter lockup? I guess I don't get what you mean "running on 60 tune". Are you using a manual valve body instead of the computer adjusting pressure?
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Resident Retard

You kinda got it. Basically it allows someone to swap in an 80e and running it without having todo the segment swap in the tune itself. Also the 80e segment will unlock the converter anytime the TPS goes less that 5% (i think it is 5%). Where it really benefits people is if a 80 segment is not available for their tune, for example a GTO or some of the NNBS trucks...

It is no real secret or anything special... When i talked to Gil @ Ace Racing Transmissions he mentioned that he has done this mod before. Also Frost on Tech sells a plug and play harness that incorporates this relay mod...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

So you just change the gear ratios in the tune to run the 80e? And good thing about the lockup because that would be really annoying if it unlocked when you let off the gas.(ask me how I know lol)
Old 03-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Resident Retard

You change the ratios, shift points, TCC lockup and turn off a couple of tests and it works

if you get bored on Sunday you can swing by and hopefully i should be done by then and we can go for a drive

Quick Reply: AFter 4 months the 4L80e swap starts tomorrow!!!!