Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

99-06 Silverado 1500 6" RCX Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-06 Silverado 1500 6" RCX Question?

Okay after digging and digging I figure I better just ask a forum...

Ever since I installed the 6" RCX kit on my 2005 1500 4x4 when the suspension is at full droop (ie lifting the front of the truck) my CV's bind. It never did this when the truck was stock height so I am assuming something with the lift changed the geometry with the CV's. I did the 3/4 ton CV conversion so that I had longer CV's in hopes that would solve the problem. No luck. The only thing I have noticed measurement wise, that I cannot compare to stock since obviously my truck is no longer stock, is the differential is off center by about 1/2", which in turn makes the CV's 1" difference in length. I cannot move the diff anymore since it cannot clear the frame. So I have ZERO faith in offroading this truck in this condition since i would grenade my CV's if the front of my truck left the ground.

If anyone out there has this same lift can you measure your CV's from side to side and let me know if yours is off center too?

If anyone has a stock height truck I would really appreciate the measurement as well.

Does anyone with this lift have the same CV binding issue when you lift the front of the truck?

My only easy solution is trying to find limit straps to stop the suspension from moving that far.

Any info would help.
Thanks
Old 09-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So its really only a 4" lift. Did you crank your torsion bars all the way to reach the true 6"?

If you did do that, your not going to be doing any offroading just mall crawling. RCX is terrible
Old 09-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Also the NNBS cv axles without the RCX spacers work really well. I dont know about the 3/4 ton NBS ones.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

When I measured I got 5" in the front and 4.5" in the rear. To get the height I needed to clear 37's I also did an add a leaf in the rear (added about 1-1.5") and slightly cranked the torsion bars (SLIGHT) then did a 1.5" body lift. 37's clear perfect, since I didn't get too aggressive of an offset wheel.

Can you measure your CV's to see if the drivers side is 1" longer than the passenger?
Old 09-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Mine are identical cv axles? Left and Right. Are you wanting me to measure at full droop?
Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

No I was hoping you can measure the distance from the CV mounting pad on your differential to the back side of the knuckle (or some common point) on the passenger and drivers side at ride height. I just want to know if there is something off on my truck or if RCX designed to have the differential 1/2" off center. If it is a design thing then I would assume your CV's will measure 1" different. Do your CV's bind at full droop?
Old 09-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Ill measure today, Mine dont bind at full droop. I'm running atomics coil over conversion. Don't truley know how high I have man stance adjusted but its not very high at all.

If you want to fix it, Buy a Mcgaughys true 7" lift with a true 7" dif drop.

I still have alignment issues every time I offroad. I bought Cognitos upper controls arms, Cognito pitman arm and idler arm brackets, Rare parts tie rods, and Cognitio sway bar links.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

I would really appreciate it!

I have all that same stuff you listed, but I used the Moog adjustable upper ball joint in the stock arms versus the Cognito arms. They helped get my truck really close to aligned perfect (close!).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOG-K100116