Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

80e failure list

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news for everryone. The 80e still cant be proven as a "problematic tranny" and you get a fix under warranty. WIN/WIN
Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Bringing this one up from the bottom...

What converters were you guys running when you had these problems. The reason I ask is I have had the same issue. First instance, pump starting whining then trans started slipping. Drop pan to find filter clogged and pan full of clutch sludge. Changed fluid/filter and was slightly better but not right. Drop trans to find converter hub was scorched around clutch apply area. Tore trans apart to find it in perfect condition. Reinstall with new converter. Worked great but with a slide on the 1-2 shift on WOT. I ran it like this for a few thousand miles before I droped the pan and found a little clutch sluge but nothing abnormal. I fixed a misplaced sping on the 1-2 accumulator and discovered my dipstick was going farther than it should. This causing a full reading even though the trans was about a quart and a half low. I remarked the dipstick for full to be even with the case/pan mating surface. The truck has been running exceptional since untill yesterday when I lost lockup completely. It has only been a couple hundred miles since I have been running it with the proper fuid level (maybe even a hair over). Just wondering if you guys have found an issue with the TCC circuit on the 4l80 w/transgo hd-2.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

i had a yank in mine...got it rebuilt under warranty and now have a circle d 1a converter...still cant get the tranny working right since this incident either...1st gear wont shift when command and 2nd is weak as hell but everything else is bad ***...

Originally Posted by BigKID
Bringing this one up from the bottom...

What converters were you guys running when you had these problems. The reason I ask is I have had the same issue. First instance, pump starting whining then trans started slipping. Drop pan to find filter clogged and pan full of clutch sludge. Changed fluid/filter and was slightly better but not right. Drop trans to find converter hub was scorched around clutch apply area. Tore trans apart to find it in perfect condition. Reinstall with new converter. Worked great but with a slide on the 1-2 shift on WOT. I ran it like this for a few thousand miles before I droped the pan and found a little clutch sluge but nothing abnormal. I fixed a misplaced sping on the 1-2 accumulator and discovered my dipstick was going farther than it should. This causing a full reading even though the trans was about a quart and a half low. I remarked the dipstick for full to be even with the case/pan mating surface. The truck has been running exceptional since untill yesterday when I lost lockup completely. It has only been a couple hundred miles since I have been running it with the proper fuid level (maybe even a hair over). Just wondering if you guys have found an issue with the TCC circuit on the 4l80 w/transgo hd-2.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4L80-E has a non-converter-related weakness; the overdrive roller clutch. It will slip and eat itself if shifts are set up too stiff. The spike in torque on the roller clutch during a jolting shift is more than it can handle. The 2000 and earlier design seems to be able to handle more power, they have larger rollers. The 2001-up roller clutches have little shoes that keep the rollers from skewing, but the rollers became smaller in diameter to fit the extra parts in. The one I broke was a 2001+ design.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raffman
My tranny guy is a friend of mine, he tore it apart to check it out and it was perfect. I did have him come and get it with his rollback when it happened so no damage done. What happens is when the truck sits for awhile the material would drop down from the filter until you start it and drive again then it would plug the filter then no go. He did say if I would have kept trying it, it eventually would burn it up.
So a stalled 80E needs to be driven? Wonder if that applies if it's a mild HP/TQ truck vs a "bruiser" w/. lots of power?

Originally Posted by BigCountryx
So it's sounding like frequent fluid and filter changes are a necessity with a stall... what kind of interval to be safe?
Originally Posted by bud8fan
you might be right...mine has roughly 20k miles and i prolly could have avoided this if i would have changed filter around the 18k range...added thou that i check my fluids regulary since the truck is a dd and the fluid up to this past tuesday was red and clean with no burnt smell what so ever...and all of a sudden

not realy...this is what yank is telling me:
https://www.performancetrucks.net/for...d.php?t=441506[/QUOTE

I would have the converter cleaned but I would bet the clutch matter is from the trans
Mike

i do have a question thou...why would you bet it's not the converter...

I have seen many 4l80-e trans that will not hold up if the converter feed is not reworked the factory shuts off the feed to allow the truck to idle in gear as the converter is tight and large
the stock converter has a large fluid volume and will not heat up as fast as a small high stall will with no oil feed
this feed is shut off till about 2500 rpm so the converter oil gets hot and will boil in the converter this will super heat the clutch packs and cause an issue it is a must to rework the feed to allow full supply of oil to the converter for cooling and correct action of the trans

...wonder if others reworks the converter feed....BTW..i never seen anymore than 185 temp on this tranny either..it usually hanges around 160 degrees

you would not see a temp increase as the time is shoft that this happens and the oil is deluted when it get to the pan the action is the oil from the converter to the lube supply this is a normal state but the high stall make matters worse
you have to rework the supply as to a TH400 to stop converter and clutch issues on the 4l80-e
that is why you see 4l80-e owners complain about clutch chatter and trans failures

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I think Mike might be making reference to a full time lube modification in the pump. This mod is covered when the transgo hd-2 kit is installed. Vince
BigKID was wondering if you guys have found an issue with the TCC circuit on the 4l80 w/transgo hd-2?

Originally Posted by James B.
The 4L80-E has a non-converter-related weakness; the overdrive roller clutch. It will slip and eat itself if shifts are set up too stiff. The spike in torque on the roller clutch during a jolting shift is more than it can handle. The 2000 and earlier design seems to be able to handle more power, they have larger rollers. The 2001-up roller clutches have little shoes that keep the rollers from skewing, but the rollers became smaller in diameter to fit the extra parts in. The one I broke was a 2001+ design.
So is the solution to get a 2000 & earlier 80E. Cause normally as technology moves FWD, the breed improves. So is it better to get a pre '00 80E or can the early OD roller clutch be fitted to '01-later 80E's?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fastnblu
BigKID was wondering if you guys have found an issue with the TCC circuit on the 4l80 w/transgo hd-2?
I do not think that the issue is so much with the kit itself. Then again you get what you pay for when you purchase a FLT unit. A unit that has been addressed inside and out. I can not give away all my secrets to the do it your selfers out there! Nice try though. Vince
Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't attempt such a thing. I don't know my way round tranny guts. That's what I have you for. If I pay you; I expect to get a great product in return. I can drop out & install a new unit, but it pretty much ends there. I don't have all specialty tools, knowledge u do. If I had to, yes, but I'd new tranny tools & lack your knowhow/ tricks.
If you build, my worries go away.

Last edited by fastnblu; 11-01-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

ok this week i have replaced all i can electrical...all shift noids and speed sensors...checked wiring from the pcm to the tranny and even hooked up HPT to it...
i can shift manually all the gears thru HPT but still will not shift 1-2 as commanded even thou we can see pcm telling the noids to shift at certain mph automatically...i can let off the gas at over 27 mph and it will finally shift 1-2 automatically... thought it might be a driver in the pcm and had it changed out and still the same results.so what ya think...go ahead and stick a stock valve body in it and see what happens??
im lost!!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bud8fan
ok this week i have replaced all i can electrical...all shift noids and speed sensors...checked wiring from the pcm to the tranny and even hooked up HPT to it...
i can shift manually all the gears thru HPT but still will not shift 1-2 as commanded even thou we can see pcm telling the noids to shift at certain mph automatically...i can let off the gas at over 27 mph and it will finally shift 1-2 automatically... thought it might be a driver in the pcm and had it changed out and still the same results.so what ya think...go ahead and stick a stock valve body in it and see what happens??
im lost!!!!
Did you ever get this figured out...Im have the same exact issues mentioned in this tread with my Jakes stgIII 80e after re-installing my Yank converter with a lower stall and MD lockup. Going to drop the pan tomorrow and see what I find?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

well i bought a jakes and every thing is good...never found the problem

Quick Reply: 80e failure list