Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

5-speed to 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
Just seen this thread, thought I would chime in! I used a hurst Shifter from the f-body and it works great for me. Check out my website for pics and a little write up I started but never really finished!
I never saw a pic of where the shifter came through the floorboard on your site. Can you use the stock seats or do you have to go with buckets due to it sitting further back?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I never saw a pic of where the shifter came through the floorboard on your site. Can you use the stock seats or do you have to go with buckets due to it sitting further back?
I was going to try to buy the center jump seat to go in the truck insted of my center consol, but I think the stick will sits back to far. I wish I had one to test fit, might have to even make some new brackets to move it back some.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

I just cut the hole out in the floor where it had to be relocated to. I haven't actually gotten a shifter that would be totally comfortable for the truck yet. I have just been using the shifter that came with my t56.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1TRUESS
I was going to try to buy the center jump seat to go in the truck insted of my center consol, but I think the stick will sits back to far. I wish I had one to test fit, might have to even make some new brackets to move it back some.

I had the center seat in my truck. I took it out a long time ago because I intent on building a fiberglass center console. Now I have my t56 to build around.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

It looks in your trucks pics that you have a long shifter and is located forward more than I thought. Is that before you put the T56 in it? You can get the T56 aftermarket with all different shifter locations from companies like Keisler.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Hey MJ, what kind of shifter is in your truck? i just installed a hurst in mine today and i was wondering if they were the same or not. Mine really shortened up the shifts but i'm gonna have to fab up something b/c it dives way left in 1st and 2nd and i can't figure out how to adjust it
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I put a Camaro center consol in mine and it looks badass and gives me a place to hold junk.

The only problem I am having is making the spedo work right. I had a 5 speed so tuning was farily easy but I am going to try a 2002 Camaro M6 program to clear that up. We will see.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Evilz28nos
I put a Camaro center consol in mine and it looks badass and gives me a place to hold junk.
Would like to see pics of that set up!
Old 09-28-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Evilz28nos
Yes, please don't talk like this without pictures!
Old 09-28-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WT485SPDSilverado
Hey MJ, what kind of shifter is in your truck? i just installed a hurst in mine today and i was wondering if they were the same or not. Mine really shortened up the shifts but i'm gonna have to fab up something b/c it dives way left in 1st and 2nd and i can't figure out how to adjust it
It is the Joe Gibbs shifter. I think it is just a replacement shaft and not the whole shifter but I'm not sure. It doesn't have the rubber isolator in the base of the handle like the stock ones. You can hear a little gear noise and feels real positive shift but I don't think the throw is any shorter. I personally don't see a need in the shorter throw due to the synchronizers are the limiting factor in how fast you can shift it and not the throw distance. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: 5-speed to 6-speed