Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

5/7 drop. now front sway bar wont fit??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who makes the kit that you have?

Last edited by blown02408; 11-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not too sure who makes it. i bought it used off a guy that bought the truck lowered from the dealership and turned the truck back to stock. the springs were western chassis and the lower control arms look like djm or mcglaufhys
Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Praise The Lowered

Can you post up some pics?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

its off the truck right now, i plan on going to put it on when it warms up. its 35 degree here right now. lol
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe McGaughy's ever made Lower Control Arms for our trucks. So if they were LCA's, more than likely they would be DJM. Is the paint on them a speckle grey by chance?

You can still post up photos of the parts off the truck...
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only company that makes lowering control arms for our trucks is DJM

Edit: And I wanna see pic of these flipped sway bars
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got off the phone with mcgaughys. They didnt make a control arm. Also called djm and they never heard of using lowering springs and lowering control arms together and there not sure how it will work. Ive tried flipping the sway bar and theres no way that'll work, tie rods are in the way. It might work if i flip the tierods around and bolt them to the spindle upside down..but idk how thatll turn out
Is it possible??
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2doorfury
Just got off the phone with mcgaughys. They didnt make a control arm. Also called djm and they never heard of using lowering springs and lowering control arms together and there not sure how it will work. Ive tried flipping the sway bar and theres no way that'll work, tie rods are in the way. It might work if i flip the tierods around and bolt them to the spindle upside down..but idk how thatll turn out
Is it possible??
yep, McG never did... and sounds like DJM was just playing dumb about using a lowering coil...

I would never recommend flipping your tie-rod. Hard to do anyway since the bore in your spindle is tapered for the outer tie-rod. DJM at one time was making a kit to do this, but I believe has since discontinued it due to wacky steering angles and bump steer caused from the geometry change.

Can you get MUCH longer bolts/spacers for your sway bar end-links?
This is what I ended up doing, but my set-up is quite a bit different than yours since I'm 4wd, but I have DJM LCA's, Belltech spindle, lowering keys (similar concept to lowering coils, at least in geometry changes when used...) and with a Hotckis sway bar. ...and now all is solid and lined up.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah. I figured there was a way to fix this or someone else ran into this problem. Doesnt look like it tho.springs and lower control arms dont go togethet and its highly NOT recommended says djm.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2doorfury
Yeah. I figured there was a way to fix this or someone else ran into this problem. Doesnt look like it tho.springs and lower control arms dont go togethet and its highly NOT recommended says djm.

yeah, must mess with the geo. too much. I could see getting away with like a 1" lowering coil or less though...

How much drop are your coils rated at, and also the LCA's?? that can both vary quite a bit.

...little sidenote, I bet DJM highly recommends against running a drop spindle in combination with their arms too, but there are several of us 4wd guys doing it, and to me it rides way better than just the arm alone did.

Quick Reply: 5/7 drop. now front sway bar wont fit??