Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e yolk stuck in tail housing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4l80e yolk stuck in tail housing?

I was in the process of my 80e swap. When it came time for me to put the drive shaft on I noticed it was very tight. I pulled the drive shaft out again and took it to my builder. While at his shop the yolk slid on another 80e like butter. He said its common for it to be tight and to just hammer it on. Well I hammered it in and now it's so tight I can't get the truck to roll. I'm guessing the load acts like I'm holding the brakes down and the verter is stalling. I'm at a loss what should I do now?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:38 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

He said to hammer it on hhhuh.. I hope you didnt have the shallow splined output that you just pounded the driveshaft onto.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
He said to hammer it on hhhuh.. I hope you didnt have the shallow splined output that you just pounded the driveshaft onto.
Im pretty sure its the bearing/bushing. i had plenty of room forward and back its just so tight it won't spin.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Some times you just need to lay the hammer down lol. I would never hammer on a slip yoke, it's supposed to slide back and forth on the splines.

One of the things no one ever seems to mention on the 80e swap is the determination of the output shaft.

The 4l80e has FIVE different types of output shaft and the yoke needs to be matched to the type of output shaft.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Some times you just need to lay the hammer down lol. I would never hammer on a slip yoke, it's supposed to slide back and forth on the splines.

One of the things no one ever seems to mention on the 80e swap is the determination of the output shaft.

The 4l80e has FIVE different types of output shaft and the yoke needs to be matched to the type of output shaft.

thanks for the post. i have the full type-c. like i said i put the driveshaft on another transmission to verify that the yolk was correct. i was able to slip the yolk on my driveshaft until it contacted the bearing /bushing and turn the transmission and the driveshaft freely. i believe the bearing bushing is the culprit, but now what do i do? hammer it back out and remove the tail section? Ive come so far and 3 days of busting my *** doing yoga under my truck now i go against my better judgment and
Old 02-23-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I would hammer it off and replace the bearing. Usually they get too loose rather than too tight but it could be the case. GM sells the bearing and tailhousing all as one unit. I do also vaguely remember that the older 80s and newer ones use a different output bearing. Maybe the switch was around 2000-2001.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I have E , its not about the size its how you use it.... lol
Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Yeah, I would hammer it off and replace the bearing. Usually they get too loose rather than too tight but it could be the case. GM sells the bearing and tailhousing all as one unit. I do also vaguely remember that the older 80s and newer ones use a different output bearing. Maybe the switch was around 2000-2001.
I know there are two different sized bearings. I either have the smaller one or it wasn't seated correctly. ill hammer it of and remove the tail section. fingers crossed it comes out
Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok a little update. turns out that c and t had a bad batch of yolks. the yolk I had was 3 thousands too large. new yolk and a new bushing and it slid right in! now its stalling in reverse and drive It doesn't feel like she will ever drive again lol
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice!

I know the feeling of the truck being down. :/

Quick Reply: 4l80e yolk stuck in tail housing?