Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e wont go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l80e wont go into reverse

I am guessing that the Chevy 2500 Express vans have the 4l80 tranny. I havent looked it yet, its a van from my dads company. Today it wouldnt go into reverse. The employee said that he put it into reverse and it sounded like it was in neutral when he went to push on the gas.

Since i have a bit of knowledge about the GM vehicles, i do all service and mantience on the vans. This particular van has 94k miles on that tranny and this weekend i was actually ready to change the fluid and filter.

I have a good idea what caused it. These guys dont take care of the vans for **** and they go from reverse to drive w/o letting the vehicle completly stop and go into gear before driving. So, I'm wanting to know is it possibly the control arm not slipping the tranny into reverse or is it another part that i need. I'm pretty familar with the 60e bc ive done about a half dozen shift kits over the years so go ahead and use all the technical terms you want .

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GirlsDoItRight
I am guessing that the Chevy 2500 Express vans have the 4l80 tranny. I havent looked it yet, its a van from my dads company. Today it wouldnt go into reverse. The employee said that he put it into reverse and it sounded like it was in neutral when he went to push on the gas.

Since i have a bit of knowledge about the GM vehicles, i do all service and mantience on the vans. This particular van has 94k miles on that tranny and this weekend i was actually ready to change the fluid and filter.

I have a good idea what caused it. These guys dont take care of the vans for **** and they go from reverse to drive w/o letting the vehicle completly stop and go into gear before driving. So, I'm wanting to know is it possibly the control arm not slipping the tranny into reverse or is it another part that i need. I'm pretty familar with the 60e bc ive done about a half dozen shift kits over the years so go ahead and use all the technical terms you want .

Thanks in advance.
I don't want to go against your knowledge because i could be totally wrong. But my dad use to have a chevy 1500 pickup truck and his reverse went out (sounded the same as ur story). And then in 3 days his whole transmission went out and had to get a new one put in. This might happen to you but it might not ....i'm and just telling you before it possibly does go out.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Ya.. its very possible that it might happen. I need to drive it to see if there is any noticable slippage or anything when its just regularly driving.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Take a BFH and whack the **** outta it........seems to fix everthing else why not a tranny
Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Visionxorb
Take a BFH and whack the **** outta it........seems to fix everthing else why not a tranny
that was prety technical, hope you didn't just go over her head with that one
Old 05-20-2005, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like the rear band let go. The only other gear the rear band is used in is First when the selector is in first. During normal use in "D" the 4L80-E does not use the bands at all. If the transmission is otherwise okay it's probably just the band. If that band is broken it's not going to hurt anything else most likely.

In Manual First (1) the rear band prevents overrun and enables engine braking. Without the rear band working the vehicle will coast when you let your foot off (in manual first) instead of be slowed down by the engine. If this condition exists along with loss of reverse it's certainly band-related.

What typically happens with band problems is the pin pockets shear off - either to the case or to the apply piston pin depending on which end broke.

Unfortunately getting to the bands in a 4L80-E takes a complete dismantling.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks for the info. I will def. try it out in 1st gear. I still havent got around to looking at the truck yet. Hopefully, the employee is just retarted.. but otherwise... i will get a local tranny place to fix it if it is indeed the band.

Thanks James.. that really helped out a lot.