Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by chris092183

No Joseph, I used a reworked TCS verter with zero miles. I was initially thinking it was verter material that i saw in the pan. What are you thinking?

Side note. No calls so far on that craigs posting we recently talked about. Is you have pics I will post them up with the ad. That should help.

Vince:

Ok I now see what you are talking about regarding the hairline cracks on the tangs. I just picked up a thrust washer kit and I do see they look the same.

Regarding the Hub Washer, I think your guess sounds right. I did lube it up but with minimal Vaseline (which btw I read on someones post. They said it can be used in place of the Tranny assembly lube).

As for the new build:

I just got my rollerized or roller clutch hub and rear roller parts from Jakes. (thanks Mike for the info and help). Any tips on how much the output shaft bushing needs to protrude into the case? Should the bushing be flush with the Torrington bearing and shim/s?

I also got some Green Assembly Goo (130 degree). I guess I will apply a lot more lube this time around.

And again thank you guys for all your knowledge.
My initial thought was that there was trash in the converter that possibly blocked flow or contaminated your trans. Its usually less likely when you go directly to a converter specialty company.

As far as Vaseline goes... I don't think it has the heat protection required for full assembly of a transmission... I believe it can be used on things like check ***** to hold them in place or to lube a seal, but on critical parts I think it would be best if you use the Trans specific lube.

Maybe Vince would be kind enough to share his thoughts on that.

I do know it can take around 30 seconds for the pump to suck up fluid from the pan, push it all the way through an empty cooler and return it back into the case. With that being said you can see why it would be important to properly lube the critical moving parts.

This time buy some cooler flush and blow out your lines before you install the next rebuild. You need to make sure those are clean as well as your build. Your probably going to want to go through the valve body as well to make sure that stuff is not trapped in there as well.

BTW haven't had time to get pictures...
Old 05-25-2012, 06:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what the melting point is on Vaseline but I have always used trans gel. The idea for using grease is to hold things in place and maybe some lube for parts before the oil hits them. In reality the oil pushes the grease out of the way when the pump starts pushing lube through the unit. The grease does not last long on moving parts with oil flowing I guess is what I'm saying.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet thread, dunno why I haven't seen it yet! I have the 80same with the HD-2 kit and am not cert happy with the 2-3 shift firmness... any suggestions? I bought an accumulator pistons block off plate from Jakes that im gonna try, I just don't really wanna get into the trans... but if I have to I will, also would it help if I got the Sonnax Self regulating boost valve and blocked the pressure relief valve/hole thingy?