Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l80e issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l80e issues

Lately i've been having issues with lag when I shift into drive or reverse. Also it almost seems like first gear was going out and I was starting in 3rd was I try to take off after coming to a stop. I went for a drive today and my HPtuners it said I was in first. It's getting worse.

What could the issues be? Bad clutches, bad converter, pump going out?

I had the trans freshed and put an HD-2 kit in it when I bought it with 72k miles. I only have 24k on it since the swap. The converter is the original one, so its running close to 100k on it.

Last edited by SmokinHot98; 02-24-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am having the same problems! Come to a stop and it feels like it starts in 2cd then it'll drop back to first. Now just yesterday it stays in first too long and doesn't want ti shift to 2cd under normal acceleration. But I can let off and it will shift.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Do either of you have acces to a pressure gauge for it? Also assuming both are swapped from a 4l60e, did you do the relay mod or segment swap?
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

I'm currently having this same issue. Narrowed it down to. Bad relay that was full of fluids trans. Relay mod on mine. Also I may have some bad wiring at my neutral safety switch I'm going to replace with the correct harness. Mind is actually jumping through gears randomly till the truck just stops and it free revs untill I restart the truck.

About to order the harness and solder it up this week with some heat shrink tubing.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Also lag can be as long as 2 secs to show the switch then it's pulls out hard. If u drive before the switch its a delay in power.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

When you say jump in between gears randomly. do you mean its up and down shifting or indicator is going nuts?

everyone who does the relay mod needs to know that in the tune i reccomend changing the force motor table to a stock 80e. the epc runs at fldifferent mah on a 60e than 80e which will make a small difference in line pressure, but in the long run can cause issues
Old 02-25-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

Both. Up down shifting and indicator goes nuts too. I know it's fubar as I have no reverse light as I wired up the newer npss when I need to use the old style switch. That's the only conclusion I can come to.

That and the fact I may have too much fluid. As its fluid in my harness and the tail shaft just a wee bit.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

My truck has been street tuned for the relay mod. It never did this till I screwed with the npss. And the relay underbody conditions pretty much has it toasted as well. The cover on the relay even fell off to show internals.

Trucks going to be down till I order new npss and wire harness. I already soldered my relay mod connections but need to solder the new npss harness. As well as replace the relay. Then I'll let it rip, as I'm getting some smaller tirres as well
Old 02-25-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Mine was segment swapped and has been flawless up until about a few months ago when the lag in the initial park to drive or reverse or drive to reverse started. The whole lack of power in first is new and odd. It seems after the truck gets warm or after a quick run it'll start to act up. I haven't gotten under it yet to look at anything bc there's been snow on the ground.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

the tune isn't perfect though. After i get this fixed and put a stall in it'll be getting a new tune.

Quick Reply: 4l80e issues