Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L75e Going Once, Going Twice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
Smart move.

I wished I had listened the first time someone told me "...just put an 80e in it....". I would have saved thousands.
Best to spend the money on a lasting thing than throwing cash at a 60e/75-whatever that will give up the ghost in a matter of time.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

i've never heard anyone say, "i'm so glad I stayed with a level XXXX 4l6Xe" lol. And on that list of upgraded parts, I don't see anything about output shafts... I've seen a ton of those fail. You just can't add enough strength to a shaft without going bigger in diameter like the 80e's have.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatChs
No more putting off the inevitable...I have the dtr81 4l80e conversion crossmember & loop on the way, and tomorrow will call FLT for a 4L80e Level 4, and Precision Industries for a Vigilante triple disk. Thanks for the input guys, and have a great Thanksgiving.
One more thing. Don't forget there are higher ratios available in a 4l80e for our pigs. On really high hp rigs wouldn't matter but I think it would at your level. I would use a drag racing app though to make the choice. For roll racing no but for drag racing yes. Probably 2.75 not 2.97 though. Happy thanksgiving to you as well!
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

OP, good decision, you'll be glad you did. I recently got through installing a 4L80. Its great. The job wasn't too much fun, but dropping a 60 to install a 60 wouldn't have made it much easier. The 80 shifts like it means business!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
i've never heard anyone say, "i'm so glad I stayed with a level XXXX 4l6Xe" lol. And on that list of upgraded parts, I don't see anything about output shafts... I've seen a ton of those fail. You just can't add enough strength to a shaft without going bigger in diameter like the 80e's have.
Haha...ain't that the truth!

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
One more thing. Don't forget there are higher ratios available in a 4l80e for our pigs. On really high hp rigs wouldn't matter but I think it would at your level. I would use a drag racing app though to make the choice. For roll racing no but for drag racing yes. Probably 2.75 not 2.97 though. Happy thanksgiving to you as well!
I'd been looking at those as well, and added that to the list. It's been a busy day! I spoke with Chuck and ordered the FLT level 4 street-strip with billet input and Coan 2.75/1.57 6-pinion planetary upgrades. PCM of NC is having a sale and I got the conversion harness on the way. Also jumped on the P.I. Winter Madness sale and spoke with Todd to order their 10.5" Vigilante 3-disc "lock-up" converter with a 2800-2900 rpm stall for $1025 and free shipping. Pretty excited...

So with the DTR81 crossmember on the way, I just need to look at the driveshaft next. I would love to find an oem 5" aluminum ds that that fits without modification. We just got our first rain of the season today, and as curious as I am I don't want to roll around under the truck on the wet ground. Anyone have access to data on oem driveshaft dimensions? From there we can subtract the additional length of the 4L80e and know what length is needed.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE:

As mentioned above, placed the order for the FLT 4L80e and the PI Vig converter on 11/21. Chuck estimates that the 4L80e will likely ship after the Xmas/New Year holiday...PI shipped out the converter to FLT yesterday--considering the Thanksgiving holiday, I'm very impressed with the build time for the converter. Also received the DTR81 crossmember, PCM of NC adapter harness, a Tru-cool 4739 that I picked up from another member, and a B&M trans pan that I bought secondhand from a local race shop. The stock DS has 3R yoke ends, and my 9.5" 14-bolt is a 1350 (used a 3R to 1350 adapter u-joint to mate the stock DS). Looking at available trans yokes, I see that Sonnax has a nice 1350 for the 4L80e, but I am unsure of the spline length I should go with...thinking I should wait until the trans is in and take measurements for fabbing up the new DS at the same time.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Update...

UPDATE:
Chuck, owner at FLT, got the my new 4L80e assembled and dyno tested (with the new Precision Industries Vigilante 10.5" 3-disc converter) on Friday 2/1, then packed it up and put it in UPS Freights hands for shipping to me on Tuesday 2/5. Chuck was trooper, battling -40 temps and frozen roadway to get into his shop to complete the job...MAJOR props to him for toughing it out to get the job don--even UPS delayed shipping by two days because of conditions. But I picked it up from the freight service center today and excited to get started--now I just need a couple dry days to evaporate the small pond that has inundated the slab I call my work space!

As mentioned, I went with FLT's Level 4 build but also made a couple upgrades. Chuck uses only top shelf parts and when I asked about a higher ratio planetary set could only recommend the Coan 6-pinion planetary--he has used the TCI set previously but having seen and compared the quality of the Coan products, those are the parts he recommends and uses. So we went with the Coan 2.75/1.48 planetary as well as Coan's billet input & intermediate shafts. The only other part that I was considering was the forged drum and 36 element intermediate sprag, but figured that the likelihood of me getting into the 1200 hp range (where this comes into play) is zero-to-none so we called it good. I figure with the more aggressive 2.75/1.48 gearing, added billet shafts along with the quality components that are standard in the Level 4 build, all I need now is a strong driveshaft to tie the power to the 9.5" 14-bolt rear end.

OUTREACH:
I searched the internet and found a shop that I have heard of, and a couple that I have not. If anyone has received great service and reliability from a driveshaft shop that deserves a shout (one that supports the forum would be a plus) please let me know. I need to place an order real soon, and would like to hear what you bought and for what application. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Even at 12psi via a TVS2300 on a 6.0 my heavy truck was faster on 80e gearing than 60e right off that bat. Everyone is afraid of the gearing in the stock 4L80e. Surprisingly, when you start making power the added gear actually helps things. Now even with my so called “lazy T6 turbo” and my 80e gearing my truck will still kill the tires with AWD. Kinda late now, but don’t fear 80e gearing.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Even at 12psi via a TVS2300 on a 6.0 my heavy truck was faster on 80e gearing than 60e right off that bat. Everyone is afraid of the gearing in the stock 4L80e. Surprisingly, when you start making power the added gear actually helps things. Now even with my so called “lazy T6 turbo” and my 80e gearing my truck will still kill the tires with AWD. Kinda late now, but don’t fear 80e gearing.
What rear gear you running?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Pat, you may be right...have a listen to my gears/revs in the drag video in my signature. You can hear how short 1st is with the 4L60, and 2nd is pretty good as well...if you can ignore the flaring that occurs at the shift you can hear that I barely get into 3rd before the trap. My goal with the 80e was to swap in the 4.10 gear set and to keep a similar 1st & 2nd while tightening up the 3rd gear and hopefully run it out close to redline (in 3rd) at the trap. A member LINKED a cool gear ratio calculator in one of the threads that helps illustrate it well. It's strictly academic but good for talking points... I'll get those ratio tables up in a few.
Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
What rear gear you running?
Currently I still have the 3.42 & G80 that came from that 08 Escalade. I do have 4.10 R&P set and a Truetrac in boxes but priorities dictated getting this 80 done first, next is upsizing the exhaust with 1-7/8" primary headers and true dual 3" with x-pipe, then the gears and posi. After that I want to open up the intake air path (I'm already 2-bar SD tuned so I need to remove the disabled maf and get 4" piping, and maybe a 95mm TB) and change the fueling to flex e85...that way I can do more power adding, starting with pulley down from 3.1 to 2.8 for more boost...I'm at 10 now and think 13 +/- is reasonable. Lastly I will get Pat to spec me a cam...

Quick Reply: 4L75e Going Once, Going Twice...