Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4L65E Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4L65E Fluid?

I have my trans built and ready to go in when I order my Yank 3600 stall. What are you guys using for fluid? My trans builder suggested Royal Purple because it will hold up to the heat of the stall better and longer. I thought about AmsOil ATF but it is half the cost of the Royal Purple per bottle so I ask you: is Royal Purple the best option? Thanks guys.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I run regular dex/merc III. I have always heard in a performance app the synthetic is more prone to slip.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that syn is bad in t56's, but not these. I don't want standard fluid to varnish so quickly.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
I run regular dex/merc III. I have always heard in a performance app the synthetic is more prone to slip.
This I have to hear!!!

How is the synthetic more prone to slip???

Does your engine slip when you put in Synthetic oil??? Does your rear end slip??? How about the power steering and brakes when you use synthetic fluids???

It's able to take the heat better. You just have to use a quality product and do your maintenance regularly. You also have to use it in the correct application. Some products were designed around Dino oils and synthetics make them very noisy or not function properly be cause of there lubricity properties.

GM now recommends Dexron 6 and its factory fill since 2006.

Now with that in mind Synthetics have there place. It's up to the end user to see if it meets there expectations and if the added cost is worth it. Several people still run the Dex 3 and change the filter regularly with good results.

As far as royal purple goes I have been hearing the Amsoil is a better product. There is a website called Bob's the oil guy dedicated to oil products. They do regular product studies and the members get in on it with testing at every oil change keeping meticulous records. There are also alot of Amsoil nut swingers so take some of what you read with a grain of salt.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
This I have to hear!!!

How is the synthetic more prone to slip???

Does your engine slip when you put in Synthetic oil??? Does your rear end slip??? How about the power steering and brakes when you use synthetic fluids???

It's able to take the heat better. You just have to use a quality product and do your maintenance regularly. You also have to use it in the correct application. Some products were designed around Dino oils and synthetics make them very noisy or not function properly be cause of there lubricity properties.

GM now recommends Dexron 6 and its factory fill since 2006.

Now with that in mind Synthetics have there place. It's up to the end user to see if it meets there expectations and if the added cost is worth it. Several people still run the Dex 3 and change the filter regularly with good results.

As far as royal purple goes I have been hearing the Amsoil is a better product. There is a website called Bob's the oil guy dedicated to oil products. They do regular product studies and the members get in on it with testing at every oil change keeping meticulous records. There are also alot of Amsoil nut swingers so take some of what you read with a grain of salt.
You have quite interesting analogies for comparing oil usage, PM sent.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

some of the fastest guys i know run Oreilly's brand dex ATF. Also know a guy who runs Oreilly's brand type F and swears by it..
Old 07-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Admin

Dex what?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Admin

My buddy builds transmissions for a living and uses III in performance apps and uses synthetic in stock or mild apps.

Ya synthetic holds up longer I would imagine but in a performance built where you are pushing it that's not the primary focus.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

III-IV i believe.. whatever is for current transmissions. don't remember off top of my head
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dex 6 here.

Quick Reply: 4L65E Fluid?