Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

4l65e in a 2002 sierra 5.3 sudden loss of Drivability

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4l65e in a 2002 sierra 5.3 sudden loss of Drivability

PLEASE HELP!! First time posting , Im trying to resolve a problem with a 4l65e thats came out of Rwd ss silverado (2005 ) bought it for 300$ and it was used for 120k miles , cracked the oil pan open and it was clean as a whistle, trans was good for a while but one day i was driving down the Road then all the gears went out (R,D,1,2,3) Nothing was engaging, but when i turned the truck off and waited about 1 minute the transmission will start shifting normally trough 1,2,3,4 gear and going into reverse , it had gained its full functionality back but after a mile down the road it would do the same thing so i parked it and the next morning woke up and changed the transmission filter it worked for a good 2-3 weeks but it started shutting off agian and doing the same problem , (keep in mind i used a Orileys filter and i didn't know they were bad until i started doing more research now looking to switch that out soon. )
But i was wondering if anyone had anything that related to what was going on or if anyone had experienced the same thing .
Old 10-30-2022, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Why do you say the O'Reilly's filters are bad? They are probably made by Wix or some other manufacturer I would assume.

I've never been into a 4L60/65/70e, but I think to properly diagnose this you need a line pressure guage. These transmissions have test port plug you can remove and hook up your guage. Compare line pressure against specifications. The ATSG manual has this information and you can find the PDF version on-line for download.

It's probably electrical and/or hydraulic related.

I did burn up a 4L80e because I somehow left a piece of duct tape in the oil pan. Transmission worked for about 30 seconds and then lost all gears. I bought a pressure guage and it revealed pressure was good for about 30 seconds and then dropped to zero (as tape got sucked into filter, cutting fluid flow.) When I dropped the pan fluid was burnt and had a lot of clutch material, so off it went and got another unit. I eventually rebuilt that first unit and it's a spare.
The following users liked this post:
03JorgeR (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

I heard that Orileys filters collapsed into itself with prevents fluid from passing freely but idk

but a update i scanned the obd2 port today and found out i have a p1870 code not sure whats the next step , thinking of getting a rebuild kit to rebuild the valve body , any tips ?
strutaeng (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03JorgeR
I heard that Orileys filters collapsed into itself with prevents fluid from passing freely but idk

but a update i scanned the obd2 port today and found out i have a p1870 code not sure whats the next step , thinking of getting a rebuild kit to rebuild the valve body , any tips ?
I don't know about O'Reilly's filters. I'll have to look into that. Kinda doubt it though.

You did get the deep pan filter, right? They made a shallow and deep pan, but I'm pretty sure by the gmt800 it was all deep pan.

The P1870 is a very common issue. It has to do with the TCC valve wearing on the bore of the valve body. Sonnax makes a kit that replaces the valve with a new valve/sleeve. My 99 4L60 developed that issue at around 225k. I just ran it like that until I pulled the transmission at 260k. I did service the transmission with fluid changes every 30-40k. The fluid was still red when I pulled. I had called a shop and they wanted like $600 for the valve body work. But I remember checking RockAuto and they had remanufactured valve bodys for like $225. This was like 2 years ago.

What happens is the ECU detects the fault and commands full line pressure. 1-2 shifts feel like you get rear ended and 2-3 are still harsh. 3-4 shifts are almost ok. It's not good on internal parts running it it like that though. I don't believe that issue would cause the lost of gears though. So unfortunately, you may be looking at multiple issues.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

That P1870 code is simply a code indicating the transmission is slipping, which isn't surprising at all considering OP's symptoms. Doesn't mean it's the worn valve body issue, though many of us are familiar with P1870 from that pretty common issue.

Richard
strutaeng (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by someotherguy
That P1870 code is simply a code indicating the transmission is slipping, which isn't surprising at all considering OP's symptoms. Doesn't mean it's the worn valve body issue, though many of us are familiar with P1870 from that pretty common issue.

Richard
On some cases the ECU "thinks" it's slipping, that's why it throws that code. The bore on that valve wears out, so the ECU detects this and throws that code. I don't really know the hydraulics involved.

On mine, it only did that once it warmed up after driving on the highway and getting off and driving on the streets. If I shut it off and waited 30 seconds or so and restarted, it shifted fine... until I got on the freeway and repeated the cycle. So I would say if it doesn't do it all the time, maybe it's the TCC valve wearing.

I didn't know anything about transmissions back then, otherwise I would have fixed it. Luckily, I was driving city mostly by then. I sold the transmission to a guy whose wife's Tahoe transmission blew up and was grinding. I told him what my transmission had, history and everything. I advised it was probably wiser to have mine rebuilt rather than his. Who knows what he did.